Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Michael asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 3 months ago

What video file type will work on an Insignia Roku smart TV?

I have a portable harddrive containing files in various filetypes. When I plug the hardrive directly into the TV's USB port, the Roku TV media player can see all the folders/files, but can not play them.

I used a video conversion software to try a few file types. (MKV, MP4, MOV, etc). Might non would open on the Roku. Only with VLC player on my PC.

Has anyone had any luck with video files on their smart TVs?

My TV isn't smart but it can play avi, mp4 and mkv. Sometimes audio is off and sometimes video is screwed but generally, it works. What it doesn't like though is having large drives like the one you have connected to it so I only use small thumb drives.

• P

I've been able to play most of  the mp4 and mkv files via a DLNA server setup, but I use a Roku Ultra and a Roku 4k stick.  The Roku they put in those TV's may not be powerful enough. 

• ?

Buy an android player .They play everything and are pretty cheap now.Amazon is loaded with them.