Please recommend me a book?

I don't like reading, I get board and I cant concentrate and I have to re-read what I have just read several times but I am sick of always looking at a screen so I think a book would do me some good

It needs to be something that's going to grab my attention and leave me wanting to know whats going to happen next

I'm hoping someone can recommend something so catching that even someone like me that refuses to read anything will actually WANT to read

Nothing scary or where something sad happens to animals

Thanks for the help!

Favorite Answer

I recommend the Bible.  It will change your life for the better if you receive Jesus Christ as your  personal Lord and Savior.  I recommend starting with the New Testament; Gospel of John first. 

Short Stories But True by Sabino Rosa

is wonderful and you can find it even likes e-book

• Marli

I don't know what your interests are.

Do you like romance? Can you enter a library right now, or is access restricted? If you are allowed inside, I suggest you go to the paper covered fiction and grab a bunch of Harlequin (Mills & Boon) published romances. The red cover ones might be too steamy, but I have found those novels good light reads.

I like Agatha Christie mysteries, P.G. Wodehouse and Stephen Leacock for light humor, and the Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle.  Type the name of each author into your public library's search box. I know they are dated because they were written more than 50 years ago  (more than a hundred for Holmes) but they have been my staples to reread ever since I was age 14 in the 1970s. I'll add the Anne of Green Gables series of books by Lucille Maud Montgomery. (I am an old fashioned girl.)

If you need to get books from the bookstore, they should be available and inexpensive.

I like reading history books  I don't know how you feel about reading books from the children's section of your library, but if you are allowed inside to browse, go browse the non-fiction books for older kids (grades six to eight or to grade ten) or the fiction books too.  The Titanic sinking is too sad and scary.  What about Harriet Tubman, the fugitive slave conductor? Exciting, and anything about her with subject tag "Juvenile literature" would not be hard to read.

Do you like reading about pop and movie stars? Type a favorites name into the library catalogue's search box.

If there is a used bookstore in your area, and it's open, browse there. The contents are divided by subject and there is usually an inexpensive book for every interest. 

Buy a newspaper or a magazine. The articles are usually short. There are illustrations: interesting themselves and they break the text blocks so the text doesn't look so daunting. 

If Tomorrow Comes by Sidney Sheldon.

It's about this girl who is stitched up by the Mafia and goes to prison. When she gets out she can't get a job so becomes a their. There is much more, but hope this fires your interest. 

• Andrew

It's incredible how often this exact same question is asked here. The number of grown adults in the world who are incapable of reading a book without experiencing major difficulties is just staggering. Without knowing anything about you or what your interests might include, it would be impossible to offer up anything but the most general suggestions in the hope that one or two might appeal to you. This raises an obvious question though: If you "don't like reading", then why are you asking for book recommendations? I don't like ballroom dancing, so I don't make it a habit to ask people where I should go to do that. If reading is not something that you enjoy doing, then it doesn't make any sense for you to attempt to force it. You also don't say anything about your age or reading level, but seeing as you have been posting for seven years, you must be at least twenty years of age, and you could be older. What books would I recommend for a twenty-something woman who doesn't read regularly, hasn't read a whole lot over the course of her life, and is looking for something easy to read that's accessible, digestible, and fun? 

"Restless" by William Boyd

"The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck 

"The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay 

"Matilda" by Roald Dahl

"The Beach" by Alex Garland 

'The Chronicles of Narnia' by C.S. Lewis

"Everything Is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer

"The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett

"Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein

"The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson

"Motherless Brooklyn" by Jonathan Lethem

"The Assistant" by Bernard Malamud

"Z For Zachariah" by Robert C. O'Brien

'His Dark Materials' by Philip Pullman

"Interview With The Vampire" by Anne Rice

'Harry Potter' by J.K. Rowling

"Holes" by Louis Sachar

"Trinity" by Leon Uris

"Bluebeard" by Kurt Vonnegut 

• j153e

Code of Conduct by Brad Thor; short chapters, lots of action.

The Little Prince; easy plot line;

In a Sunburned Country; humorous.

• Zac Z

I think your own hunch is very good: "It needs to be something that's going to grab my attention and leave me wanting to know whats going to happen next"

In order for us to give good suggestions of stuff that will grab your attention, can you think of topics that interest you? Are there movies you like a lot? Can you say what you like about them?That kind of info might help us to help you!   :-)

• James

the master of the game by Sydney Sheldon is the last book I read and once started, I could barely put it down until I was finished with it. It will take you on a trip

• Kenny

They Shoot Canoes Don't They   .A book of short stories by Patrick F McManus .

So funny I had to stop reading and get the laughing out of me so I could go on .