Why are people afraid of being killed?

I think those adrenaline pumping situations in life are the best. I would never conform to social constructs just live life how you want to without feeling pressure or anxiety

since the torment it could cause. besides the Fear of the obscure and no control of what occurs in the afterlife. In the event that we knew, at that point we could be eager to kick the bucket all things being equal

Because the pain it could inflict. plus the Fear of the unknown and no control of what happens after death. If we knew then we could be in a rush to die instead.

It is the only life you have.

Most of us can understand that being in a dangerous situation can bring on a kind of "high", but you're forgetting that if you do get killed, that will be the END of any further excitement.

• Cogito

Because they don't want to die, of course.  When you're dead, you're just dead.  No more possibilities, no future, nothing.  

And even stronger than that, is the fear of HOW you're going to die.  How badly it's going to hurt and for how long? No-one wants pain, especially prolonged pain, possibly resulting in permanent disability.

I have had many disasters and calamity in my life, and trust me, it is not nice having all of them adrenaline pumping situations.  It is like being tortured!

I suspect because many people have a natural fear of death

Power dynamic, fear of the unknown, etc. Not nearly as fun to talk shop about as it may seem. If you've been around it, death isn't so crazy. But if it's a completely alien concept, the idea of being 100% out of control of your "self" is the fundamental definition of fear. 

odd flex but ok 

• Matt

It's a natural instinct to avoid death. Those who are addicted to life threatening situations are addicted to the feeling of adrenaline like a drug addict is addicted to their preferred high.