Random drug test by DOT on vacation time ? ?

I have a cdl A license in Texas . 

I want to go to california for 2-3 months and smoke . I was wondering if I could still be called in to take a random DOT drug test 

I would not return to duty until my system was clean again. 

Or if I was unemployed 

I don't know the specifics of the law on this, but I will give you my experience as an employer of drivers.

We were part of a group random testing pool. (most smaller employers use a service for this). Every so often they would tell us that one of our drivers was "due" for a random test. They would have to go for the test within 24 hours I believe of their arrival to work the next time they were scheduled. So for example, if we got the call on a day that the driver was off, we would send him for the test as soon as s/he came in for his or her next workday. 

Being, after all, random, we never had a situation where someone was on vacation and got called, so I'm not sure what the proper procedure would be, I imagine we would send them for the test when they returned. 

My personal advice, is don't do it, but hey - it's your life. 

Yes, random = random.  

The government doesn't recognize vacation time.

Using ANY substance banned by the DOT, and that is at the FEDERAL level, is grounds to suspend or revoke your CDL. It doesn't matter if you are driving or not.