Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 month ago

im an engineering student. i cant help but compare myself with my peers. they're all very intelligent and naturally smart?

i managed to get in university because i worked really hard. i study and work hard but i believe im not naturally smart like my peers are and this has been bothering me..... i feel like im not fitted to be here but i REALLY WANT to be in this program and be an engineer. im just afraid that i cant reach this by hard work alone?? can i still be an engineer??? does anyone feel the same ? maybe online learning has been taking a toll on me

• Tom

Lots of times I had an "Smarter looking" classmates, but found "smartness" is often an illusion.  They were just better speakers or more social than me.----My grades turned out to be just as good (or better) than theirs---when I was able to somehow SEE their grades.-------Do not assume a classmate is necessarily smarter than you.  Too many times, I discovered they were just better talkers.

It is very hard to compare yourself to anyone because we all have different abilities. Height, weight, hair, eye color you can compare.  It is all moot anyway because it really depends on how hard you're willing to work. You might have to try harder than others in some things but you can succeed if you work hard enough. Don't waste a second in self-doubt. Use that time working towards your goal.

• Joe

What year are you?  If you make it past Physics, you have a fair chance of graduating.  Only 35 of 100 freshmen in engineering will graduate.  7 of those take five years - repeating Physics and other fun courses.  It has been this way for 100 years.  So yes.  They all felt the same.  The only thing new is you.  I guarantee you will graduate if you get in a study group and stay with them every day until you graduate.

School is tough for everyone. your peers are in the same boat, They find it hard also whether the admit it or not. Keep going, doing the best you can do. You will make it. It is worth the work to get that degree. You need it.

Find other students to compare notes and learn from each other.

If it's electronics, drop out, self educate.

Don't underestimate hard work.  It will get you through a lot in life.  You don't say what year you're in, but I'll assume either 1st or 2nd.  Keep in mind that the first 2 years, in my opinion, were the hardest.  You're taking all your general courses like 4 semesters of physics & calculus, 2 of chemistry, statics, dynamics, etc. (at least that was the curriculum 30 years ago when I went).  I didn't do well my first two years, either, and thought about a major change a number of times.  But, once you get into your area of concentration, it seems easier, not because the courses are easier but because the classes are more in the areas you enjoy best.

I'm a civil engineer.  I ended up on academic probation twice in my first 2 years.  When I got into the civil courses, I did much better.  I went on to get my Master degree and got 11 A's out of 12 courses (I was annoyed by the one B grade).  Now, all these years later, I have a job I love and look forward to going to every day.

Tough it out.  Get extra help if needed.  Find an area of engineering that really fits you.  You got this.

Everyone in any engineering school can't be at the top of the class.  There is plenty of room for students of all abilities. You may also have capabilities that are not yet being measured, like mechanical ability, people skills, etc. that will help you as an engineer.  At the end of your school, if you can clutch that degree in your hands, you will have made it by virtue of your hard work.  The comparisons to your peers and even your grades will fade quickly in importance as you gain experience as an engineer.  

Hang in there, you CAN be an engineer.  Even getting into the program says that someone believes you can do it.

Some engineering schools are harder than others.  Although a high-ranked school will make it easier to get a good job, you can also do quite well if you achieve an excellent GPA at a lower-ranked school, and you might find it more pleasant that way.

You can also think about taking a year off to go to work (at "anything") and spend your free time reviewing your calculus and letting it sink in.  I quit college in the middle but by the time I returned I had a much firmer grip on the math that I had studied before I quit.

And I ended up with a PhD from a top-ten engineering school, and had contracts from NASA et cetera.  So good luck, and do spend a lot of time reviewing what you already know!

• Damien

well if you're friends were that intelligent, they're have figured out how to be rich without going to university, so no, you're friends are not smart, they are the AVERAGE person who goes to university cause they aren't smart enough to figure out how to make lots of money. As far as engineering goes, you aren't passing this nonsense without friends to copy assignments off from or without friends to try to figure out pointless but hard math problems. YOU CANT PASS ENGINEERING ON YOUR OWN, u need people who will help u figure the problems out.