Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 3 months ago

Is it really dangerous to leave your engine running while pumping gas?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

People leave their car running a lot of times when pumping gas. Now how many fires/explosions do you know that happened because of this? So the ones who say it is so dangerous because the gas fumes may explode, well if fumes are that heavy guess what will happen when the spark producing car pulls in next to you. I have never in 50 + years ever heard of a problem leaving your car running. 

• 3 months ago

This video was distributed  by the American Petroleum Institute

This woman generates a static charge playing with her sweater, but fuel flowing in the hose and exhaust flowing in the tail pipe do also. When she touches the nozzle she becomes the ground path to the car.

https://youtu.be/T6VKxmUPb3g

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

We've done it once when truck  had idling and charging problem.  Attendant yelled, but no fire. Truck was too old to have a  carbon canister etc, anyway. We got home, fixed it. I never tried it, again.

• fuzzy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

actually ilegal to not shut off the engine in most places. Actual danger - minimal

• 3 months ago

Yes, it is.  Usually nothing happens, but sometimes the car can explode.

• 3 months ago

The danger is this when your engine is running gas from the carbon canister filters back into the gas tank. So it's forcing gasoline vapor out of the fuel filler neck. And then you walk over to the fuel filler neck and you touch it I don't care how careful you are you're going to create a microspark. And that ignites the vapor and now you've got a nasty fire. You stand far less of a chance of this happening if you turn your car off

• 3 months ago

We live in the lawyer capitol of the world. The danger signs are to ward them off. If anything does happen from your sparking engine the signs have covered the stations rear. Don't think any one really cares for your safety. 

• 3 months ago

When you pump gas with the motor running the vent valve doesn't open and you can flood the carbon canister with raw gasoline. Not a good idea.

• 3 months ago

Not really dangerous , but in theory a backfire could ignite gasoline fumes.  

More likely you just waste a little gas, and pollute more around the gas pumps.  Used to be that gas stations had artificial flowers around them because real ones did not grow well.

• 3 months ago

I once drove across the entire nation without shutting my car off cause the starter was broken

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.