Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

If my ex sees and screenshots this tweet, can he hold it against me if I sue for $400 he owes me?

Also I put in the header of my account that its satire and artistic expression and I will leave individuals from my past unnamed.

To go after a man after the fact for money you presume he owes you after your relationship is over is wrong, the time to address the matter was while you were with him.  Now you are just seen as vindictive because he probably dumped you.  You know "hell has no fury...."  If you have a receipt that he it was a loan and he would repay you then you may have a chance otherwise, learn your lesson and be wiser next time.  

I don't see why not. If you sue for the money, he will simply countersue for defamation, thus offsetting the $400 you claim he owed.  His only problem is to show that anyone else knows he was referring to you, and that it wasn't true, and that you KNEW it wasn't true.

• Foofa

We don't yet have thought police who can arrest people for thinking bad things about others. 

That is irrelevant to whether or not he owes you money.

Anyone can hold anything against you. That rant, which is too long for twitter, would be legally irrelevant to being sued over owing $400.

Yes, he CAN "hold it against you," whatever that means wherever you live.  In MY part of the Country it's called "evidence against you."

He can't hold it against you unless you mention his name

If it is really you that said it.