Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

What’s a TERF?

Thanks for the answers.   So I’m trying to understand the term in the context of those boys winning that girls track meet a couple years ago.  

Is this a correct understanding:    TERFs  would say while those boys identified as girls, they aren’t really females and shouldn’t have been in the meet.    Cis-TERFs in contrast would say that boys identifying as girls makes them female, so they have every right to compete in a girl’s meet. 

Do I have that right?

• Katy M
    Favorite Answer

I don't think I've heard the term cis-TERF before.   You have the TERF right.  I think those feminists who say that boys who want to be girls ARE in fact girls are just called feminists, because apparently that is the feminist platform.  Which makes zero sense and does not at all aid women in any way, but it is what it is.

• Audrey

Thanks for asking that. I was wanting to know myself. Now i am officially a TERF!

• Bill

A feminist that doesn't go along with the transgender agenda. 

Trans-exclusionary radical feminist is an insulting term used to refer to feminists

who have the “radical” notion that a man saying he identifies as a woman doesn’t actually make him a woman.   TERFs tend to believe people who are biologically and legally men shouldn’t be allowed to participate in women’s sports or go into women’s toilets.    

• BJJ

trans-exclusionary radical feminist: an advocate of radical feminism who believes that a trans woman’s gender identity is not legitimate and who is hostile to the inclusion of trans people and gender-diverse people in the feminist movement

• Barry

TERF is an acronym for trans-exclusionary radical feminist.

Source(s): Google