? asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How do I cut ties with a family member who has all of my information?

I want to cut ties with my mother has been a negative influence in my life as long as I can remember. I'm now married with my own children. Continuing a relationship with her (and most of my family) is no longer an option for us. The problem is she has all of my information. My social security number, those types of things. She tend to go crazy when things dont go her way, so I'm worried that when I stop talking to her she's going to do something to disrupt my life. How might I protect myself from those things? Should we move? That is something we can do. Opinion and advice please!

3 Answers

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    maybe you should move out

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    If this was me, I'd talk to an attorney.  This shouldn't be expensive, but you'll get your options.  For example, if you stay local, you could take out a restraining order on her.  Another thing the atty could do is send a certified letter to her, warning her that all agencies have been informed of her intent to harm, and at the slightest suspicious activity, she will be caught and arrested.  You could inform the SSA about the situation and ask that you be alerted asap if anything happens with that account that looks odd. 

    On moving, it's kind of surprising you never said what your husband wants.  This is the only thing that matters, not the opinion of strangers online.  You also want to take into account what's best for your kids.  If he wants to stay local, you owe it to him to do everything in your power to make this work.  If he's open to a new locale, then that might be a good idea. 

  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Moving far away is always an option worth considering, if you can do it.  What are you afraid she might do?  Your best bet would be to inform her, then not respond at all to her, change your social media access, and then inform only those with whom you wish to keep contact; and if necessary, you can also consider getting a restraining order against her.  You can also change such things as your bank account, etc., if she has access, get a post office box, change the locks to your home, change your email address and passwords if needed.

    If you wish, write again and describe how you think she might try to contact or respond to your decision.

    Good luck , it must have taken a great deal for you to have come to this decision, now, be brave and determined!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.