I need help convincing my dad to let me mod my car?

I was just given a 2020 Honda Civic sport for my birthday. I am really into cars and I have always wanted to mod one. My dad said I could put external mods on my car such as a spoiler, taillights, headlights, ect. I want to put a mishimoto cold air intake on my car. it is super easy to install and its not a major mod to the car. My dad doesnt want to let me get one because he is afraid it would void my cars warrenty and if something goes wrong we would have to pay a lot of money. There is a law that if it is proven that the mod did not cause damage to the car if damaged, legally the company can not say my warrenty is voided. my dad already knows about that and still wont change his mind. So what should I do? What should I say? How do I convince him to let me get this car part?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

fathers right, don't test the constraints of the guarantee. in the event that you have issues they can and will accuse you assuming there is any chance of this happening

• 1 month ago

A cold air intake won't make any noticeable difference to the performance of your car - and could possibly degrade it.

Trust that the engineers who designed your engine knew wtf they were doing when it came to designing the intake.

• 1 month ago

He knows better than you that "cold air intakes" are just trash that can't improve the car's performance. The throttle contains a fuel heater anyway.  The computer adjusts fuel mix according to temperature, so colder than spec air will cause a computer signal to lean out the fuel mix. Mod the car with wash and wax. Those other "dress up" items make the car look different the same as changing your clothes makes you look different. Your father is trying to teach to not be a fool. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You just "got the thing".  Live with it for awhile. For the minimal HP gain, I would not spend that kind of money for a hose-pipe and air cleaner. Super easy stuff is big on Promises but can't deliver otherwise the manufacturer would have added it...as STOCK equipment.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Dude, he's your dad. He can not be convinced. He's the Law. And, does your state allow Cold Air Induction? Probably not. But, you can get a K&N filter that will give you another 15 horses. Oh, and see if a muffler shop can't put on a Performance Cat. That's legal even in California.

• 1 month ago

Stay with lick'em stick'em things that look cool but don't modify what the great engineers at Honda have designed,They are way smarter than the rest of us.

• Anton
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Tell him you were racing when you first got the car and have already voided the warranty.

• 1 month ago

You have a cold air intake form the factory that works just fine. Putting an after market CAI on your motor is not only a waste of money as it does nothing to increase performance but it also can ruin the MAF sensor voiding any warranty. The oil on the cleanable air filter migrates to the MAF sensor wires and ruins them.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Of all the things you can do to a car, a "cold air intake" is the dumbest, most useless, biggest waste of money of all.  Don't you think that Honda knows as much about air intakes as any aftermarket company?

• 1 month ago

I'm with your Dad. Not to mention a cold air intake is a waste of money and useless.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.