Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

When making a gratin, do you have to boil the potatoes first?

Do you have boil them for a little while to make them softer? 

I make potato bake all the time and I don't pre cook the potatoes. I don't understand why people would either, who wants extra washing?

• IvaB

No.......................

If you want it to cook faster slice the potatoes fairly thin then par cook them in the milk you will use in the recipe.  They will absorb some of the milk making them richer rather than absorbing water if you simmered them in water. (don't forget to season the milk you simmer them in) 

Then gently drain and reserve the milk and continue on with the recipe. 

Yes, boil them first to making a gratin. 

There is about as many ways to make a potato gratin as there are people who make them.  I use a mandoline to slice my potatoes super thin and I don't boil them first, but I'm sure there are folks who boil, roast or steam them first, maybe even just par cooking (partially cooking them).  Then there's the whole milk/cream/broth debate.  I have a wonderful book by a very famous chef and cooking instructor who gives several potato gratin recipes all of which are very different.

One of my favorite gratins doesn't even have potatos in it at all, it's made with leeks and fennel...

• denise

Well, I par- boil them first then slice and add to the dish. 

• kswck2

You don't have to, but it does make it easier. And you don't have to 'guess' if they are done. 

You don't have to but I prefer to parboil mine first or the texture doesn't come out like I have in mind.  Other people can just put them in the oven and it's fine but not me no matter which recipe I use.

Yes, par boil them first or it takes too long!l

• CB

No the thin sliced potatoes cook in the oven just fine.