365 asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 month ago

Medicaid in IL?

Hello I have question for my friend Parents. Regarding about applying for Medicaid in IL. My friends Mom makes about $1400 month and she wants to apply for Medicaid in IL, which I believe she qualifies for it. Her yearly income is about $16,800 before tax. But her husband makes about $2600 month before tax. Can she still apply for Medicaid? Even tho income level for couple combined is higher. Her husband get health insurance thru work, but she wants to apply for Medicaid since she is making such low per month. Please let me know your thouths on this. Thanks guys. 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Kini
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Why cant she go on her husband's health insurance that he is paying for? Medicaid counts ALL household income, not only hers but his too. Every state has a different income requirement.

• 3 weeks ago

There is NO WAY she would qualify.  She would be expected to be on her husband's plan and if she doesn't want that, then their combined income is too much to qualify, so she will have to go and buy her own.

• 1 month ago

The only thing about income that matters is the total, combined income of the household as a whole.  How much is hers and how much is his does not matter in any way.  If hers plus his plus anyone else in the household adds up to too much, then no one in that household can get medicaid.

• 1 month ago

Her annual income is "not" about $16800 if she is bringing home $1400 a month.

$1400 a month * 12 = $16800. 

- Then you have FICA taxes which is 7.63% = $1285.20, increasing her income to $18085.20.

- This $18085.20 is before she pays any federal or state income taxes and any other deductions from her pay.

But again, it's mute because medicaid is based on household income.  And the household does not qualify.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • n2mama
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Illinois Medicaid is based on household income. Since they are married, both of their incomes are considered, and for a two person household the income limit in Illinois is $23,792, so they make too much money for her to qualify. Sorry.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

She should qualify.   Both are under the income threshold. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.