Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 1 month ago

When I use the correct technique for realism the shading always comes out grainy? Why?

Everyone else’s in videos appear smooth and fully blended whether that’s bright and vivid with coloured pencil or smooth with shadows and lights with graphite. I can achieve it but there’s always graininess and what looks like tiniest scratch marks from the paper. I know it isn’t the paper because I’m using the best you can get like strathmore and now Windsor and Newton and it still happens. I use the best pencils you can get like Faber castell. I didn’t spend so much money for something to look that way that’s out of my control. So how do I change that result?

I agree with the other answer, if there's no picture, it can be difficult to determine what you can change about your technique. Also, even if you're using the "best of the best" quality, it does not mean that the art will always come out smooth and perfect. Your own technique also matters. 

From my experience though, the art can be less grainy if you press harder on the surface. Also, sure you're using a good quality paper brand, but is it the right kind of paper? Is it actually meant for colored pencils? There's paper that's a bit more thick for watercolor, there's paper out there that actually feels more smooth to the touch, which can be great with color pencils too. Windsor and Newton is well known as a brand for watercolor, for the most part, so you should double check that and perhaps change it. Look for paper that actually feels more smooth to the touch. Besides that, maybe trying out other techniques out there. Such as using different blending stumps, kneaded erasers, paper, etc.  

Hope this helps. 

Source(s): Me, been an artist for 20+ yrs.

Since you haven't shown the result it is difficult to gauge (if you do include a photo put something in for scale, a pencil or something).

I find the best coverage is achieved by applying several light layers and rotating the paper to change the directions of strokes. I prefer Bristol board but that is just one option, some people prefer a slight tooth.