Brynna asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

Can my boss force me to come in?

I took yesterday off and I am trying to take today off because I am having some of the most painful menstrual cramps of my life and over the counter medication is not working. I was in tears last night and only got about 2 hours of sleep. It hurts more to be up and walking around, let alone running around with the kids (I'm a pre-school teacher). Even though the reason why is none of my boss's business, I still told her the reason. She is now telling me I HAVE to come in because there are already two teachers out getting tested for COVID, so she needs me today. I apologized and told her I am unable to. At this point, I don't really care if she writes me up because in the end, she is trying to force me to come work when I'm in immense pain. My doctor has suggested the possibility of me having endometriosis, but I've never been tested for it. What should I do? What happens if she tries to threaten my job?

She can't force you to do anything and your health is more important than anything else.

• Audrey

Get tested for endometriosis. You can't use cramps as an excuse for calling out of work forever. If you have it, they will treat it.