Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

How to initiate a friendship with someone you have nothing in common with? ?

So me and this one this other person have a lot of mutual friends, but we don't talk much and don't have much in common at all. The only thing we really have in common is that neither of us really have anything to do or anyone to hang out with. I wanna give it a shot though because I'd like to make more friends and I think they would too. Anyone have any tips or advice? 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

you can try hangout same places you both like maybe? but maybe i can relate in some what maybe, My 2 old friends being mean and there where talking about me to our old mutual friend about me saying i need help and that why he still friends me i tireds behave to them and not annoyed them as much now then i did and dont believe me but one have lied about her brain cancer cause he kept asking her to hangout and yet my old friend (who didnt think i wouldnt listen is still friends with her) 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yeah. Avoid this person because you have nothing in common.  You are not interesting to them and they not to you for the same reason.  The reason you make friends is because you see an ADVANTAGE to the association.  Otherwise, you should have better things to do.( a hobby, a study,...more than just sitting there and eating and schitting and getting FAT)  That is only interesting to Cannibals.  The fatter you are, the more marbled the meat.

• 1 month ago

Food and good movies bring people closer 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

act like you are in common with that person, get into his/her world

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Geez, join a club that interest you as its not that hard to make friends. Start with throwing your smart phone in the trash.

• tony
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

How do you know what the interests of anyone  are without talking to them and getting to know them? Perhaps someone likes a book you like or a movie you like, you have no way of knowing this.get out of ur comfort zone or you'll always be lonely.Don’t assume things about people. Start up a conversation and see if you could come to something you both agree on. Now let's say you really do have nothing in common. Someone who disagrees with you is a great person to bounce ideas off of. They can pinpoint issues in a plan or idea and relay them back to you. You can even do this if you do have something in common, just find something you disagree about and see if you can form the perfect compromised plan.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As you haven't talked much to this person you don't really know that you have nothing in common. Bet if you invested some time is chatting with them you might find some common ground. The fact that you have mutual friends probably means you're more alike than you imagine. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can't really say that you have nothing in common until you take the time to get to know the person, you may end up surprised to find out you have things in common that you were unaware of. 

Ask them a question

Asking someone a question is great option if you really want to have a chance at sparking an actual conversation, it’s best to avoid questions about the current time or weather. Come up with thoughtful, open-ended questions, ones that you actually care about learning the answers to. 

Use humor

This approach isn’t for everyone, and it can be harder to pull off if it’s not something you’re used to. It’s not about knock-knock jokes and it’s definitely not about trying to show off your wit or charm. It actually has very little to do with impressing someone else and everything to do with trying to make both of you feel more at ease. 

Be upfront

This strategy is the one that can make us feel the most vulnerable. It’s hard to put yourself out there and to worry about possibly being rejected. But when you feel like you have the most to lose, you most definitely have the most to gain. If you’ve had only brief interactions with someone you want to get to know better, it’s okay to share that you’re looking for friendship and that you’ve really enjoyed the conversations you’ve had so far. Being direct about your desire to become friends doesn’t have to be a big scary thing. Casually let them know that you’d be happy to chat and hang out.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't understand how two people could know the "have nothing in common" if they barely know each other. Do you both like ice cream? Hot chocolate? Do you both know how to play checkers? Assemble jigsaw puzzles? Good enough. As you spend more time together, the two of you will (1) discover shared interests and (2) create shared memories. 

You don't have to be crazy about someone, don't have to be particularly close to someone, to enjoy spending time with the someone. 

Every minute doesn't have to filled with conversation. Nothing wrong with people enjoying a companionable silence, with spending some time doing nothing. 

• 1 month ago

You have mutual friends.  Are these real, live friends or just mutual FB type friends who you never meet up with face to face.  To initiate a true friendship you need to actually speak to someone and have a proper conversation - not a text or something similar.  You need to make eye contact and speak to each other.  Why not suggest going out for a coffee together or something nice and public like that and actually get to know one another personally.  She can only say No - to which you just reply - OK no problem......and then carry on as before.  To make friends you need to actually MEET people and have chats with them.  This is why social clubs are so useful.  Good luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.