Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

What do I do if my boyfriend and best friend hate each other?

Me and my boyfriend have been in a relationship for almost 6 years now and he doesn’t like my best friend, when ever I am with her I feel an off vibe from him. He doesn’t like her because she has a ‘slutty’ past and thinks that she will influence me. Me and my friend have been friends for 11 years and are literally like sisters. It has now got to the point where he says he doesn’t want me going on a girls holiday with her but has been on a boys trip himself..what do I do?

• Foofa

Remind him that she was in your life long before he was and that just as you don't interfere in his relationships with his friends you expect him to not try to interfere in your relationships with your friends. If this persists you may have to end things with him. 

• T J

Time to make a choice, stay with your Best Friend, and break up with your bf. Or keep the boy friend and lose the girlfriend.    Your Boy friend is not happy, so you choose.

You break up with him. It's appalling that he's judging your friend and trying to control what you can do / who you can see.

If he hasn't changed his view in this time, he's clearly not willing to accept her as a person rather than defining and shaming her for her history (I mean, I doubt his is virginal either)

What you could try and do is encourage him to keep an open mind about her by showing him her positive attributes. Perhaps once he sees her better qualities in the flesh then he will warm to her. Another possibility is to use positive reinforcement to get your boyfriend to be more accepting of her. For instance, try approaching your boyfriend when he is in a calm and relaxed mood and then explain how much she means to you and how much you would appreciate him accepting her. Then when your boyfriend does make an effort you can reward him in someway e.g. by taking him somewhere that he likes.