Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How do people cope with living the rest of their life with a dead parent, sibling, spouse etc. I can't even imagine?

I've been fortunate to not have any family or friend die yet but how do people cope. the pain seems like it would be unbearable forever

we dont have much choice, i lost my parents years ago, and i just lost an identical twin a couple of months ago, you just dont have a choice

As trite as it sounds, time does heal.  Also, I usually dismiss psychobabble, but the grief process is very real.  It's so helpful to know what stage you're in, partly because it tells you what to expect next, but mainly so you can pay attention if you stall out in one of the stages.

I lost my mom unexpectedly the week before I went back to college for my senior year.  It completely gutted me, but in one sense I was lucky, because there was so much to distract me.  The other thing that helped was my Dad flew all of us (him and my sibs) to Mexico for that 1st Christmas.  He didn't want to be around the rest of the fam, and it was the right decision.  We weren't ready yet for that.

• ?

While lost loved ones are remembered, missed, even mourned, it does get better over time.  Its something we have no choice about, so we must accept the inevitable, including eventual death, ourselves.  

For those who are religious and believe in an afterlife, there can be comfort and consolation, even the belief that you can meet again. I don't believe this.

There is a book, How to Survive the Loss of a Love, by Colgrove, to be had from Amazon for just a few bucks. It was written to deal with death.

The pain of the loss of a loved one doesn't go away, but it fades with time. Every now and again you will still experience moments of great loss, but it is bitter sweet. 

Death is a necessary part of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vkLOtMyYPs

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=Kabbalahinfo

Um You kinda have too, it's hard yes, but as some point you need to move on a live you life, it's what they would want.  Don't think they would want you to wallow for the next 30-40 years.

I focused...after a while, on how lucky I was to have them in my life rather than lamenting not having more time with them. 

Just cope with it like it’s normal part of life