Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

With COVID going around, would it be better to have a courthouse wedding first and then an “actual” wedding later on?

My fiancé and I are thinking of doing this. Thoughts?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

You can only use the Marriage License once..............therefore, if you get married at the court house............you can't do it again later on.  However, later on - you can have a Reception.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You get only one true wedding day ... the day you say " I DO ".

Absolutely yes, do plan your RECEPTION when it is safe to have a gathering. 

No one wants to be part of an audience to a wedding show to see a pretend or renactment marriage ceremony. Watching that just does not have the true sentiments  when you are already imarried.  However, you can get a bit creative and have a short acknowledgement or vow renewal exchange with your guests present.. And yes, do wear a Wedding dress! No bride should be deprived of that joy !

COVID has changed many lives and traditions as we all adjust to this pandemic. I would positively have a "Celebration of Marriage " reception. I think this will bea very popular way for marrying COVID couples to be able to celebrate their marriage with their loved ones.

• GB
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

A courthose wedding is an actual wedding. Also, a wedding in a church is not nul and void if the church isn't filled with guests, so if  a religious ceremony is important for an 'actual' wedding , there's no reason not to have one. 

• You can get married at a court house, that will be your wedding day.

Then you can renew your vows and have a reception when covid dies down. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Unless you get divorced or one of you dies, you get ONE wedding day.

No one wants to attend a fake wedding where married people parade around and collect gifts.  Yuck.

If you want the big wedding, you wait.

If you want to get married now, go for it.   You can have a party later to celebrate that you got married on a prior occasion, but please don't do a fake wedding re-do and don't call it a reception because it's not.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you're not prepared to wait until conditions are safer for a big wedding then yes, doing the courthouse version first and the reception some time later is fine. Just don't stage a whole second wedding and let people believe you're not already married because that's super sketchy. 

• Carrie
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Honestly most people who have one wedding, end up not having the "big" wedding later on. Life happens and other things become your priority and the wedding becomes less important. After all, you are already married.  I have seen it happen to several people I know. Just plan one or the other and let the other option go.

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your actual wedding will be at the court house. You are married couple at that time. . You can’t get married again. 

Get married now, or wait and get married later.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The act of marriage is the exchange of vows, not the signing of the register. What you're calling the actual wedding is the wedding ceremony.

So just exchange vows now, and celebrate it when you want.

• 1 month ago

This isn't an option. 

You get ONE wedding; this is the ACTUAL wedding. 

So if you get married at a courthouse now, you'll be married. You can't get married again later.

You can have a party later - but it won't be a wedding, you can't fake a ceremony, or expect gifts etc. Because you'll already be married.

So have the wedding you want, because you get one only.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.