Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How would you feel if this was your daughter?

I was reading a book called "Convenience Store Woman" about a lady who was 30+ and didn't live up to society's expectations. The book describes the pressures on single women. The main character worked a low paying job most of her life. (Just enough to support herself in a small apartment.) Many of her family and friends tried to nudge her into getting a proper career, but she stayed at the convenience store because she was perfectly happy in her work. ...Along with this, she had no interest in sex/dating and was content to remain single her whole life.

Overall, how would you feel if your grown daughter worked the same low wage job her whole life and never dated? Would you be disappointed? Or would you accept her for who she is?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

i would feel she has the right to do what she wants, im like her too in a lot of ways

• 4 weeks ago

The only thing that would bother me about the situation is that she feels she has to post constantly on Y!A asking for validation.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I wouldn't judge my own child on the basis of a character in a book, that's for sure.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I'd worry about her financial future of course. But that novel is very specific to conditions in Japan where a robust social safety net doesn't allow slackers to end up in homelessness. So it doesn't really translate to the US as seamlessly as it might seem. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Seriously, parents should be happy as long as their child is happy. Some people go to college for amazing careers and end up hating it and quitting anyways. I would be perfectly happy and proud of her.

• Carmen
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

As long as she is happy content and managing her responsibilities and life in a positive way and not worried then I’m ok with that because having a high paying job doesn’t guarantee happiness or security it sometimes create more problems bills etc. I accept my children for who they are not what they possess and pray they become well rounded respectful grateful loving adults. 

• 4 weeks ago

She is happy, not a burden to anyone, and not self-destructive.  Sounds pretty good to me.  Note that in some areas of the country, it would be impossible to get your own apartment alone just working a low-paying job.  At least not nowadays.  In the 1970's and before, yes.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

thats up to her, she sounds like me, ive never dated either

• 1 month ago

I would be disappointed, honestly. I would feel that she has the potential to achieve more and do better, but she lacks the courage or will to do the work. having barely enough to survive should not be a life goal, When you can be easily replaceable by someone younger who would take less, you become endangered by homelessness and as seen during this pandemic, those barely making it become the first victims. I would like my daughter to be above the water safe, rather than barely having her nose above it a whisper away from drowning.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would be proud of her!!! At least she is being decent, she is not sleazy sleeping around, she is working better that job than nothing at all. I am 27 a straight woman, and no interest in sex/dating either, I actually want to be single my whole life with just my pets, and adopted daughter. Although I have a medical degree.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.