I ran out of gas but Car was still running?

Few months ago I went out of town which was 2 hours away only yo realize that I forget my wallet at home. On my way back, my gas tank was half way. Then it went on E  when I was still miles away.were the gas warning light came up. I thought I was going to be stranded but it kept going untill I made it home. How is it possible? It was on E for while . I thought once on E means you're getting low on Gas?

you did not Run Out the idiot light  "E" came on telling you that you have about 20 Miles left before the car stops for lack of fuel 

Downhill all the way?  Or needle is not accurate? There is no other reason.  You NEVER FORGET YOUR WALLET, OR CASH. Your pig car is your expensive "GIRL FRIEND" When she want a drink, you are paying for it.

• fuzzy

They build an emergency extra capacity in fuel tanks for 2 reasons. 

One: you've just discovered (dumb drivers who dont fill up until past the empty mark) Two: there is a certain amount of junk, water, dirt etc that collects in the bottom of the fuel tank which it is VERY inadvisable to get into the rest of the fuel system. By leaving that last bit of fuel unused the junk stays in the tank.

For reference my Isuzu Dmax has 18 l of diesel left when the warning light comes on, nearly 200 km extra range in a real emergency

E means you are getting close to empty, but not completely empty

The low fuel warning light means you are REALLY low, but still not completely empty.

You apparently made it home with the tank really low, but not yet completely empty.

• F

A rugby team mate once had a Peugeot estate with 7 seats. Once coming back from a match, he run out of petrol while doing 70+ mph on the motorway.

With about 2/3 ton on board, we coasted for miles , off the motorway , into a town and stopped 100 yards short of a petrol station.

Gas gauges are not that accurate, and they tend to get to E and the warning light comes on while there is still some fuel in the tank.  Maybe 1 gallon , maybe less that 2 gallons.

• arther

you run very low and you made it home you didn't run out .

When you fill to full reset the trip clock and note the distance it does till near empty.

maybe god helped you so you could get home

The gauge is NOT exact, even if it is not miscalibrated. If the engine was running, you WERE NOT out of gas.