how do you pronounce "shaman"?

is it "shay-min" or "shah-man"

The word etymologically comes either from the Tungus “samán” meaning one who knows himself or from some Chinese dialect for a Buddhist monk (not sure the dialect but in Mandarin the word is héshang). Either way the root word would sound more like  shah-men than shay-men. 

However, in 1985 there was a Scottish electronics band that pronounced it “shay-men”. Maybe that is where it comes from. 

"Shah--man." ---------------

shaman elocution. Step by step instructions to say shaman. Tune in to the sound elocution in English. Find out additional.

• denise

Its  Shay - man.........

shah men/min The unaccented syllable (the second syllable) is closer to a schua, closer to "men" than anything, really, depending on your particular accent.  The Sha part is a short A ah not a long A ay.

Shah-man. 

Shah-manisn. Is the belief system. And I know it's not pronounced 'Shay-minism'.

This is the way it's usually said in movies. Then again I don't hear it said very often, and don't say myself.

Source(s): Native Speaker of American English for 68 years.

not shay-min

better consult forvo: https://forvo.com/search/shaman

I'm pretty sure the plural is NOT "shamen", as women can have the same job

Google translate says it as "shay-man".

I thought it was "shah-man" though.