Rik asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

Why does movies tends to like to portray South USA as backward and evil often?

Isnt that propaganda

Update:

Hollywood movies and such

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because that's how it is.

• 1 month ago

They are considered "fly over states." Meaning, they are not travel destination spots and have dense terrain therefore those state's inner workings are not familiar to the masses. This means an audience will be more curious and it allows better stpry believability by the audience and allows script and screenplay writers to make up believable folklore. We can contrast that to Florida, California, or New York City. Those are majorly urban and highly developed cities and frequent destination cites for historical monuments, theme parks, and tourism. Kinda hard to introduce the wicked doll who comes to life in Orlando, Florida or Palm Beach or Miami, right? Does the wicked doll go to the beach often and kill kids in the Palm Trees? And if the spooky town with a killer mist that makes parents kill was in New York City, that doesn't fly well either. Was the mist near Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building or Rockerfeller Plaza? All those thoughts come tonmind when you pick states people visit.

• 1 month ago

Hollywood movies feed into stereotypes such as the evil Southern Sheriff who lays in wait for a Yankee to come driving through his town so he can catch him for speeding and throw him into jail. People recognize stereotypes and in the early silent movies the villains has black hair with handle bar mustaches and the fans would boo and hiss in the theaters when the villain appeared. The beefy southern backward animal like villain replaces the older stereotype. IN horror movies the villains will often be identified by red glowing eyes or dark circles around their eyes. In more sophisticated moves the villain might be the innocent looking character so as to fool the audience such as in Sibyl where the pretty little blond turned out to be the slasher killer. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Large portions of the South are developmentally behind the rest of the country.  I mean, there's poverty everywhere, and there are now many incredibly thriving areas of the South.  But when we look at in the aggregate, Southern states usually lead the nation in poverty, obesity, unemployment, reliance on public assistance, and trail the nation in things like literacy, education, health care outcomes etc.  And decades ago, things were even worse.  The economically vibrant urban South is relatively recent, coming about mainly in the last couple of decades.  Back in the mid 20th century the South was even more economically and developmentally behind the rest of the country, with the rural South particularly impoverished.  The South also has a reputation for racism and cultural intolerance. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I mean...50 years ago it was pretty dead on accurate.  And in some areas it still is.  I have an aunt that moved from new hampshire to north carolina and hear alot of stories.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Speaking as someone from the South - because the Southern USA is backward and evil.  It's actually much worse than what's portrayed on TV and in movies.  They just scratch the surface.

• Pete
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because we ARE backward, largely.  I'm from Texas, take my word for it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.