Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

German Grammar?

Can someone confirm the following about the stem word decken:

1. if a car is covered in dents, would it be bedeckt or gedeckt? Guess would be the same for if a face is covered in spots/blackheads. 

2. Guess would also be the same if you cover your face with makeup (think that is bedecken)?

3. If you cover up a spot so nobody can see it, would you use abdecken or verdecken? 

4.If a person of faith were to cover his head via a turban, would that be bedecken? I think covering up to keep warm in general is zudecken. 

Thanks

No thanks.  I'm not interested in German.

first off, this is not about grammar but about semantics.

Second, there's no such thing as "a word stem". It's  a wordstem.

"gedeckt" definitely would be wrong, unless you mean "sired".  Ordinarily you would say "das Auto voller Dellen" and "ein Gesicht voller Flecken"

2 same if you cover your face with makeup (think that is bedecken)?

pretty much. "gedeckt" would be wrong there too

"abdecken" would be better, especially if you do it to protect the spot. "verdecken" is closer to what you do in preparation of an ambush.

4.If a person of faith were to cover his head via a turban, would that be bedecken?

I doubt it. Turbans are way too big for that

> I think covering up to keep warm in general is zudecken.

pretty much. It's what you usually do with a blanket (Decke)

Source(s): dutch/NL