Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Women these days don’t take their husband’s name after their marriage. They still have their father’s name. Thoughts?

Is this good or bad?

Favorite Answer

The misunderstanding it to mean ownership. This being said in the Middle East the woman always keeps maiden name; unfortunately a lot of them are in owner based relationships. Let me explain that it is fine for a man to for example, to forbid his wife from speaking to another when he detects trouble; but to do it for the sake of it is another story. Taking a man's name is not ownership it says, "I blend my life with yours and my taking your name you blend your life with me; to become a unit that is going to see us through all we face; the two of us."

Is it good or bad depends upon how it is looked at; when you see nothing but ownership and refuse to look at other avenues it is bad, but when you look at the other avenues it is good.

It is fine. Women and men have their own identity.

Where i live and in several other countries, a couple getting married can choose to both go by the family-name of either of them, or to both keep the original ones. Sometimes the choice is political, like when one last name is associated with a hated ethnicity, or some hated family, or hard to pronounce where you live.

In some careers (science), changing your name is a handicap to your career: if you publish under your new name, maybe people won't link it to the reputation, trust and esteem you've worked for for years or decades

I hyphenated my name after marriage. I kept my family name because I like it and it's a part of who I am and I took on my husband's name because he's my family too. People should do as they choose. 

It doesn't worry me at all.  Women nowadays are inclined to have made a name in business or whatever before they get married, so retain their maiden name for the sake of continuance and recognition.

Good. It’s as it should be. You are born from your father not from your husband. You can have hundred husbands but only one father. Your real surname is the one you are born with. Keeping your father’s surname is respectful cause you exist because of him. Most divorced women take their original surname back, why do you think is that? Cause you will always be a part of your father. Blood is thicker than water. 

Source(s): Thumb down all you want, you know it’s the TRUTH! 🖕🏻You piece of shiits

My thoughts are that I don't really care. As long as you don't do that stupid hyphenation thing, as if you were a candidate for the guillotine  ("royalty"), it makes no difference to me.

In fact, even if you DO do that stupid hyphenation thing, you're merely irritating me, you don't actually affect my life, or anything else important.

• Cogito

It's neither.  A woman is free to keep her birth name, take her husband's name, use both (usually hyphenated) or invent a new name entirely.  It also varies in different countries.

Many women DO take their husband's name, but it's a matter of personal preference.

It's neither good nor bad - it's just a personal choice (ie women don't have to be defined by the 'primary man' in their life)

Women are beyond reason unable to comprehend that because we are different we're made that way.