Do most pregnant women take time off before birth?

• Rita
    1 week ago

Most new moms take some time off work after delivering their babies, but few start leave before giving birth. They should consider it, according to the researchers.

based on my experience and the people i know at work...... majority took maternity leave 2 weeks before due date

It really depends on the woman, the job, and how the pregnancy is going.

Of all the women I know of, I would say it was running at about 50% - with about half the women I know continuing to work until they had the baby and the other half going on medical leave at some point before having the baby.

Personally, I went on medical leave about three weeks before my due date with both of my babies.  I work in factory production and the time on my feet and the lifting was hard on my body AND I was having massive issues with insomnia during the last few weeks of pregnancy, so I wasn't getting proper rest at night before my shift the next day.  I was just exhausted all the time.

• edward

Yes. Closer to the end it is harder to work in general not to mention with the babh due any day how embarassing if you go into labour at work😟

If their work is not physical, most women prefer to save their time off for after the baby is born.

I worked past my due date, because I felt just fine. I worked in an office at the time.

People who work retail and need to be on their feet, or who work something really active like construction or assembly line, are more likely to want to leave earlier in their pregnancies.

Most don't in my experience, unless they are having problems.

• Murzy

Many work until the last day.