Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

Did netflix actually exist in 1997?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, it was formed in 1997 as basically a store which would mail you DVDs. 

One of the founders of Netflix has a book out about the founding of the company that contains a number of interesting anecdotes.  He talks about how Netflix started up at just the right time.  He and his partner knew they wanted to do something involving the world wide web, which was a few years old at that point.  They thought about mail order movies but VHS tapes were too expensive to mail.  DVDs, which had just been introduced, were cheap enough to mail and became the cornerstone of their business.  Originally they operated more like a brick and mortar video store, charging a fee to rent each movie.  But they quickly moved to the monthly subscription fee.

• Robert
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes.  They had subscribers who were sent DVD movies each month in the mail.  Quite innovative for its time

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, I used it to rent DVDs. That’s how they started, as a DVD rental service. You can still rent DVDs from them 

• 1 month ago

Yup. Only in America and if I remember, it was a dvd rental only. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I have Google and know how to use it:

Netflix is an American technology & media-services provider and production company headquartered in Los Gatos, California, founded in 1997 by Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph in Scotts Valley, California.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.