Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

I bought a car from my cousin and we had agreed on a price but then I find out it has expensive repairs, should I try to pay lower?

I recently lost my old car, my cousin offered to sell me her old car as she didn’t need it anymore since she just bought a new one. She said maintenance had been kept up, and there were no problems and we had agreed on $1500. I was going to pay her when I got my taxes and I have gotten title somewhat in my name and got insurance for it. The part where I say I have gotten it somewhat in my name is that she hadn’t smogged it before I went in to transfer the title into my name and without the smog it’s on hold in the dmv. And it won’t pass smog because the catalytic converter apparently needs to be replaced and that’s going to cost me about what we had agreed on price wise. I have brought it up with her and she says to put the money I would pay her into fixing the car first and then paying her back in increments. I feel like I’m getting ripped off. And I want to ask her if she would consider lowering the price because of how expensive the fix will be for the vehicle she is selling me. And I feel like it’s too late to back out because one I don’t have another vehicle and two she wants full price for a vehicle that has such and expensive fix she didn’t tell me about. (She says it was running fine and didn’t know it needed to be replaced.) should I stick with the original agreement or should I try to lower it more?

Perhaps you ought to have first explored laws about pre-owned vehicle deals. Each state has a law that says on the off chance that you go into a private gathering utilized vehicle deal, it is accepted that it is an "with no guarantees" deal, except if the WRITTEN deal incorporates a composed guarantee by the merchant.

You are trapped!

I agree with David - don't ever buy a vehicle from a friend or family member.

• David

Never buy a vehicle from a relative.

You agreed on $1500.  That is the deal.  You can walk away from the deal and buy a car from an unknown person.  Who said the CAT needed to be replaced? You do not need OEM cat.  You can have them put on a cheaper "Jobber" manufactured cat that will do the same job and pass you through smog.

.She does not have to sell to you. She can sell the car to an unknown person and maybe get 1800.  Money is money.

Or you can go to the junk yard with your hacksaw and cut off a hopefully good cat off another vehicle and have that welded on (yeah they weld them on - or they are stolen)

Pull the OBD2 trouble codes. None of them tell you to replace the catalytic converter, though it *might* be bad- There are several other possibilities. When you saw the check engine light was brightly illuminated, that was a dead give away the car had trouble. That's what you get for not looking things over before buying them. Find out what the real problems are before you waste more money buying parts and labor that doesn't fix all the problems.

The last part of your question is easy; Yes, you should lower the price more- or refuse the sale.

I've seen "as-is" heaps at the salvage yard selling for $1500.00 with the qualification, they run. You won't get a good car anywhere for less than $2000, so if you can get that car in good shape and legal for another $500, the deal might be OK. You'll have to pay someone who knows cars to see if that's possible.

Panko with best answer

• PANKO

Caveat Emptor. You agreed to a price, pay it. Now, you are aware. You should've had it taken to a mechanic (About $200). Now, you're out $1500.

• May

First you say that you *bought* this car then you say it was *offered* to you.  Then you say the title is "somewhat" in your name.  A title is either in ones name or it isn't.  Assuming that you have not yet bought the car, (hopefully) Run,  do not walk, away from this "deal" as fast as your little legs will carry you.

I'm amazed that you have to ask perfect strangers what to do or what not to do.  Do you have a brain?  If so......USE IT !

How do you spell **CON** ?

How do you spell **SAP**  ?

Sigh....They walk among us.

First off if the catalytic converter was bad the CEL would have been lit and a P0420 code would have been in the PCM. If you didn't check that out it's not her fault. Second she offered to help you and you agreed to the price. I'm not sure what State you live in but in Wisconsin the new owner gets sent the paperwork to get an emission test after buying the vehicle...it's not the sellers responsibility. I'd say stick with you original agreement. It's not worth a few hundred bucks to start a problem with your cousin that had your best interests in mind when she offered you the car. $1200 is way too much for a converter unless it's a VW. Walker brand converters on average cost $300 and the labor to install it 2.0 hours which relates to $200. Go get another quote at a muffler shop.

Maybe you should have first researched laws about used car sales.  EVERY state has a law that says if you enter into a private party used car sale, it is assumed that it is an "as-is" sale, unless the WRITTEN sales contract includes a written warranty by the seller.

You are stuck!