Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Bottom bracket size?

I have an old bike with a measured bottom bracket width of 116 mm. It needs replacement. I can only find 115 mm and 118 mm width bottom brackets. Which one is a better replacement?

Update:

I got two conflicting answers online so far. One says it is okay to be either + or -1mm, but another says I should go for the larger size because it will just space the pedals farther apart. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

it's very important to make sure you get the correct bottom bracket for the job. With so many “standard” sizes available, it may seem overly complicated 

• David
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Well, how did the crank arms sit with the old BB? 

If there was a decent gap between crank and BB shell, and between cranks and chainstays, then you could PROBABLY use the 115 mm BB.

If it was a tight fit anywhere with the old BB, go for the longer one.

Be advised that BB/crank fit can be tricky. Parts that SHOULD fit might not.

Also, what do YOU like?

There’s a kinda-sorta advantage to running short ones, but the big thing is you being comfortable on the bike.

• 1 month ago

Without knowing what the bike is, how do you expect anybody to answer the question? Take the bike to a reputable bicycle shop. There they can best answer your question. 

Source(s): Motorized bicycle owner and builder.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.