Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Bottom bracket size?

I have an old bike with a measured bottom bracket width of 116 mm. It needs replacement. I can only find 115 mm and 118 mm width bottom brackets. Which one is a better replacement?

I got two conflicting answers online so far. One says it is okay to be either + or -1mm, but another says I should go for the larger size because it will just space the pedals farther apart. 

it's very important to make sure you get the correct bottom bracket for the job. With so many “standard” sizes available, it may seem overly complicated 

• David

Well, how did the crank arms sit with the old BB? 

If there was a decent gap between crank and BB shell, and between cranks and chainstays, then you could PROBABLY use the 115 mm BB.

If it was a tight fit anywhere with the old BB, go for the longer one.

Be advised that BB/crank fit can be tricky. Parts that SHOULD fit might not.

Also, what do YOU like?

There’s a kinda-sorta advantage to running short ones, but the big thing is you being comfortable on the bike.

Without knowing what the bike is, how do you expect anybody to answer the question? Take the bike to a reputable bicycle shop. There they can best answer your question. 

Source(s): Motorized bicycle owner and builder.