What is the difference between FBI and CIA?

I recently   finish the (( Americans2013 series)) starring by noah emmerich   , who was looking for illegal Soviet spies as a FBI Counterintelligence Service agent .

I wanted to know, isn't this the CIA's responsibility?

• ?

The CIA charter doesn't allow it to operate within the US, although I'd suspect that edict isn't always followed to the letter. 

• ?

As a rule CIA only has jurisdiction abroad and FBI takes care of domestic issues. However, when foreign spies are present in our territory there can be some overlap and vice versa.

The CIA operates mostly OUTSIDE the US.  The CIA would be OUR foreign spies gathering information on possible threats to the USA.

The FBI mostly operates INSIDE the US.  The FBI could very easily be involved in looking for illegal Soviet spies if those spies are operating INSIDE the US.  

The CIA wouldn't investigate a foreign threat that is already in the US.

The FBI wouldn't investigate a foreign threat that is still in another country.