Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Bestfriend problems?

My bestfriend of 3 going on 4 years didn’t tell me she had a boyfriend for the past couple of months. I was upset when I found out because she wouldn’t have told me, had I not brought it up. I’m happy for her don’t get me wrong, but I tell her everything.. and she used to tell me everything. Did I overreact?

Update she got really mean to me for being upset..

• ?

The first few months of a romantic relationship are usually tenuous as that's when you're still just figuring it out. Some people for whatever reason affix the title "boyfriend"/"girlfriend" onto a relationship before they really even start the actual relationship. So if that's the case here she probably doesn't want to tell you she has a "boyfriend" until she's fairly sure he's going to stick around for a while. 

Your decision to tell her everything is yours to make, just as it what she tells you is up to her.  It isn't your place to demand what she shares with you and you should apologize for doing so.  Being too demanding upon your friends is a great way of losing friendships.

• ?

Perhaps, she was concerned you would not approve. If no, she is in the wrong and should have told you.

I don't really know. If you had a boyfriend too and didn't tell her, would she overreact?