Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What can I give my dog for a possible ear infection? ?

Unfortunately due to the pandemic my vet isn’t accepting appointments anymore, I’m pretty sure my dog is in the early stages of an ear infection, she doesn’t want me touching her ear, constantly shaking her head, slight head tilt, I don’t see any pus and no excessive wax and because we live in a -40 cold climate and she isn’t around other animals I’m thinking it property isn’t mites. She cries when she scratches it. I’m just wondering what I can do until I get the chance to bring her into a vet? Can this possibly develop into something worse and what can I do right now to give her some relief? I’m also open to anything else you think may be wrong, she seems fine besides this ear problem, not acting drunk or dizzy. 

The vet really is closed here, I called and the answering machine said that they wouldn’t be open “until conditions allow”. I’ve gone there and there’s signs on the door saying until further notice. I have called another vet that said because she is registered with a vet already that they cannot accept her. I understand that it is animal abuse to mistreat or neglect an animal, this is why I’m seeking help. I will try to contact vets outside of my vicinity but I wanted something to treat it now!

• Rita

Treatment

Eardrops. Medicated eardrops containing antibiotics, antifungals (to kill yeasts) and anti-inflammatories help to clear swelling and pain. ...

Ear cleaning. It's important to keep the inside of your dog's ears clean while they heal. ...

Anti-inflammatory pain relief. ...

Antibiotic tablets. ...

Treating the underlying cause.

• "What can I give my dog for a possible ear infection?"

👻 Nothing -  except whatever a COMPETENT vet👩‍⚕️ prescribes AFTER examining your dog and working out WHAT the problem really - or most LIKELY - is.

But you CAN (1) develop enough confidence to display the avatar & username YOU chose when you created the ID you are now hiding, (2) develop enough energy & INITIATIVE to search for a competent vet, (3) display for us the Questions and Answers you wrote (the people who use [Anonymous] are cowards or trolls), and (4) learn to be honest.

Anyone who had enough intelligence to become a qualified vet👩‍⚕️ KNOWS that humans don't catch CoViD from dogs. So unless you agree to wear masking adequate to prevent YOU from infecting him/her (= the vet), a vet can refuse to see YOU - but there are ways for the vet to see your DOG.

USE the 📞☎️ to find out what way or ways a GOOD vet will require you to do so that it is safe for HIM/HER to examine your bìtch.

• "Unfortunately due to the pandemic my vet isn’t accepting appointments anymore,"

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS on FIRE !

• "I’m pretty sure my dog is in the early stages of an ear infection, she doesn’t want me touching her ear, constantly shaking her head, slight head tilt, I don’t see any pus and no excessive wax and because we live in a -40 cold climate and she isn’t around other animals I’m thinking it property❌ isn’t mites."

💥Q1: WHERE are you & your dog & the vet? (Nation or state, and nearest city.)

💥Q2: And is that -40°C or -40°F or -40°K, or WHAT? (At present Google WON'T, and Y!A probably won't, accept you typing  °  straight in. But they accept such characters being copy&pasted in.)

👺 LEARN to always PROOFREAD and correct your typing.  "probably" or "possibly" fits, "property" doesn't make sense.

• "She cries when she scratches it. I’m just wondering what I can do until I get the chance to bring her into a vet? Can this possibly develop into something worse and what can I do right now to give her some relief?"

In 1970 or 71 we bought Falka, the show champion adult full-sister of Mitzi, a pup we had bought maybe a year before Falka's humans decided to divorce. Falka's ears had been neglected. Within a year we had our vet remove as much of the ear tissue inside her ears as he dared. Falka never had a litter for us - in less than a year the scar tissue had again expanded and poor Falka was constantly kicking at her ears, so we did the humane thing and had her euthanased. Their sire (half British, half German) and dam (fully British) were both imports, and each parent won my country's first ever Gold Medal awards.

• "I’m also open to anything else you think may be wrong, she seems fine besides this ear problem, not acting drunk or dizzy. "

💥Q3: Anything else wrong? Like WHAT?

You've described no other symptoms, but you HAVE described what Falka suffered. If you're lucky, your un-named & no AGE and BREED mentioned pet has had it for such a short time that a vet CAN cure her problem. Falka obviously had been neglected while her previous owners argued about whether to divorce or try to resolve their own problems.

• "Update:  The vet really is closed here, I called and the answering machine said that they wouldn’t be open “until conditions allow”. I’ve gone there and there’s signs on the door saying until further notice. I have called another vet that said because she is registered with a vet already that they cannot accept her."

I am FAR from being the only answerer to find THAT unbelievable! It certainly doesn't apply in MY country!

So I look forward to reading your answers to my 💥 Questions.

• I understand that it is animal abuse to mistreat or neglect an animal, this is why I’m seeking help. I will try to contact vets outside of my vicinity but I wanted something to treat it now!"

💥Q4: Is this your FIRST dog? Or have you had several dogs and the local vets have learnt to regard you as a bad character?

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS on FIRE !

💥Q3: Anything else wrong? Like WHAT?

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

All vets are still accepting appointments and if yours isn't then find another vet.  

She could have something down it and therefore needs a diagnosis and especially if there is no brown wax at the moment.    

If it is an infection / mites then you need it sorted as ear canals swell and narrow and this makes it warmer for the bacteria to grow quicker.   Not only that but the more it narrows the less it goes back to normal so you end up with more and more ear issues leading to either resection or ablation...  (look it up).

IF you know what it is ...and I say IF ...  then ZYMOX is brilliant and Stinky stuff next.   I use Zymox with hydrocortisone however,  I wouldn't unless I know what I'm dealing with first. 

I doubt your vet isn't accepting appointments. If that is true, find another vet

Vets are considered essential..  so it is FALSE that you can't find a vet due to covid.

You're using that as an excuse to NOT see a vet.

Ear infections need proper meds, which will depend greatly on if the infection is bacterial or a yeast infection...  Each is treated with a different type of medicine.

You really need a Vet to check it out.  With the shaking of the head the dog could develop a hematoma on the ear flap that would require a Vet to cut open, stop the bleeder feeding the hematoma & sew the ear flap back together.

I would buy a cheap ear cleaner & properly clean the ear canal.  There is a specific way to clean a dogs ears & if not done properly it is ineffective.  Learn how to clean a dogs ears & start using it 3 times daily for a week, 2 times daily for a week, one time daily for a week, once a week for until there is no more to clean.  It must be done properly so you can google 'how to clean a dogs ears?'.

You need a vet.

Vets haven't closed down, although there may be a waiting list for the appointment.

• Maxi

Vets are working and still taking appointment and have been all the way through covid......so book an appointment and take your dog down to the vets

Add: You can't 'treat' without knowing what what the real issue is, ear infections can be yeast based ( needs medication) it can be ear mites ( these need to be treated/killed and antibiotics) could be an allergic reaction to something like the food you feed, could be a grass seed that is causing irritation which means the dogs body produces excess oil/wax in it ear........ reality is all you can do is keep it clean as possible until your vet gets its at together..... and another vet will take you registered with some other vet or not people decide all the tie to change vets and register with another........ if not phone a rescue/animal control tell them your vet is closed and no other vet will allow you to go and ask their advice.they have vets on call who will see you

vet treatment obviously