Anonymous

Masters degree? ?

Okay, I have a BA in culinary arts but I want to get a masters in political science. Can I just go straight into the masters degree or do I have to redo my BA because it wasn’t based on political science? 

A graduate degree is the main degree of graduate investigation. To apply for a graduate degree you generally should as of now hold a college certificate (a four year certification). A graduate degree regularly requires a year and one-half to two years of full-time study.

At most, you might have to take some pre-requisite courses to get into the program.  I do not know of any MA/MS programs in Political Science that only allow political science majors in.  However, I do suspect you might be at a significant disadvantage against students with social science backgrounds.  You might be stuck with less competitive programs, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but means that your choices are limited.

Varies by school.  The big issue is whether you are accepted if you don’t have certain prerequisites.   Very possible you will be accepted but have to start with any undergrad prerequisites you may need.  

Bottom line is you have to look at programs and see what their guidelines are.   

It depends on the admissions requirements of the program to which you want to apply.  Check the website to see.  You don't always need a bachelor's degree in the field of your master's degree program, but most graduate programs have prerequisite courses in that field that you must have completed in order to be admitted.  A graduate program provides higher-level training and education in a field, so there is an assumption that students already have some knowledge and background that can be built upon.  

please ask the advisors at one of your likely MS universities.

• John

You would not have to earn another full Bachelors degree. The program would most likely require you to take a certain number of undergraduate courses in and related to Political Science prior to starting graduate studies.  I would  personally be suspicious of any Masters program which did not have such a requirement for those who don't have a Bachelors in the subject.

No.

You need to earn a B.A. in political are find an accelerated dual degree program in political science. You do not have the introductory and advanced graduate level prerequisite courses that some one who majored in political science in the last 5 years would have taken. You also might have to take the GRE, but fewer master's degree programs are requiring the GRE noe, and It is expensive.

You will NOT be redoing your B.A. You will be?earning a?second post baccalaureate bachelors degree. I have THREE bachelors degrees, one B.A. in American history and 2 B.S. degrees and an and an almost M.S. in geophysics and an M.S. in geology. 

You should be fine. Just apply and ask your employer or former professors if possible for a letter of recommendation. You can get into law school regardless of what major you had. Poli Sci should realistically be no different 

• MS

• ?

You don't have to have a BA in the same subject, but it might depend on what courses you had in your program. Did you have any history? Ask the admissions people at a school you want to go to what they need to see on your transcript. You might have to take a couple of undergraduate prerequisites.