Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 month ago

Please tell me that this covid test result could be a mistake or wrong?

I got tested only to go back to college. It was a PCR test and it took 3 days to get the result. It’s positive. How is this possible? My parents who I live with feel fine and so does my boyfriend who I kissed a few days ago, and the people he lives with feel fine also. Could this just be a false positive?

The accuracy of these tests are very high.  You have likely infected your family.  The boyfriend will be in for a lengthy illness with some permanent lung and brain damage but he'll probably survive.  The parents probably won't.  

its possible, take the test again or quarentine for 10 days

False positives fairly rare in the PCR, you could retest but then you don’t know if it’s a false negative if negative.  You still have to go by the positive.  Many people have such mild to no symptoms that are surprised by a positive result.

you might be asymptomatic

Lots of people don't have symptoms.

If could be a bad lab test.  We don't know.  Take another test.

STOP WITH THE THUMBS DOWN - I didn't say the test result was wrong.  I said the lab could have made an error.  We know this happens!!!  That's how 75 NFL players tested positive in one day and the NFL has their choice of labs, not the shoddy thrown together public health labs.