What's the biggest difference in price you have experienced when trading a car in to a dealership cars value-dealership offer?

The trick is to agree on an amount before ever bringing the trade-in into the picture.

And don't fall for the trick of negotiating payment amount - get pre-qualified by your bank so you know how much you can afford to spend, and only then go out and look at vehicles.

Once they've agreed on a price to sell you the vehicle for, only then bring up the idea of trading in an old vehicle.  If they aren't willing to talk the deal you want, then walk away.

That's half of the trick to buying a new car - always be willing to walk away.  Never fall in love with a car (and salesmen are experts at spotting the signs, even if you don't say it out loud).

My favorite thing to do is shop for cars with my wife - we play a form of 'good cop/bad cop' with one of us really wanting the vehicle, and the other nitpicking at details - like color, features, arguing about price, etc.

Not really understanding your question. HOWEVER there is 2 CERTAINTIES.  The dealership will "underpay" to buy yours AND overcharge on the car they are selling to you.    They make money buying or selling - it is the business they are in. They never screw themselves out of any transaction.  Get used to it.  Been like that since the days they were selling horses & chariots.

. Their job is "make it sound like you are getting a deal" (while they screw you)

About $7000 less from a dealership than a private sale on a truck I used to own. That ain't chump change. 

There can be very wide ranges even if each dealer gave you "real money" figures for your trade and not all do.

For example, a Mercedes new car dealer is not going to pay as much for a car they could or would not retail where a Hyundai dealer might actually want your trade.

For most people, they should never trade if they can avoid it.  I never have. I also never bought new.

I read something about at a new & used car managers convention where there were many. They were all asked to appraise a car they had sitting outside the hotel.

They were told it ran & drove good and had no major issues.  Yet there was a very wide difference in the appraisal's.