Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionDrama · 1 month ago

Why does Picard have a british accent but a French name?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

I have a Polish name and I speak Aussie lingo and English.  

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Someone's surname only occasionally relates to their accent or first language.  I know dozens of people with very non-British surnames but whose command of English is virtually perfect.

• 1 month ago

I've always asked myself that.

It's the same in Les Miserables.   Why the hell does Gavroche always have a Cockney accent, if he's suppose to be this  PARIS street urchin,  who's actually the son of two French parents...the Thenardiers? 

but in every last version of Les Miserables,  it's always   "G'day Gov! "  like he just stepped off the boat from Liverpool- 

• !
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He's french, from france. he speaks french in the show the ENTIRE TIME, but, because of the universal translator system, it translate into english automatically, and the translator system has a british accent. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He was 'born' in France to a French father and English mother?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

To state the obvious  Picard is a fictional character and he is played by a British actor.

But maybe he was in Educated in England. Not every non Native speaker retains their original accent when they speak other languages.

In fact the goal of many language learners would often to be mistaken for a native speaker. Some actually are.

So it isn't out the question to have a French character speaking perfect  Shakespearean  English even in reality..

Danish (soccer) Football players for example who play for  long periods in England are noted for acquiring the local dialect in English.

Source(s): Danish soccer player who speaks with a perfect Liverpool accent having had a professional career there. https://youtu.be/HTGqFVYWuJw
  • 1 month ago

In code of honor (S1, E4), it was mentioned that French had become obsolete by the 24th century, so only UK English was spoken. 

• 1 month ago

He was born in France and learned English in England.    Just like Americans who learn French in Quebec do not speak it like the French do.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yeah, that's always been a bit of a headscratcher. He's purported to be French, from France, raised in France, retires on the vineyard in France where he was raised, etc., never ever even a whiff of anything about England is ever mentioned, but that accent is distinctly RP English, not French, and it being English and not French is the great big elephant in the Star Trek: TNG room. 

On the other hand, I can't even imagine how insufferable Picard having a French accent would be, so rather than have had him do a French accent, they should've just made him English, IMHO, like from the Home Counties or from Cornwall or something like that.

• 1 month ago

Why did Christopher Lambert(a frenchman) play the highlander(a scotsman)?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.