Pandora X asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Do pets (cat & dog) ever eat poison mushrooms?

When I went to school my mother used to tell me - dont talk to strangers, be careful crossing the road, and dont eat any mushrooms you find on the way to school. It was good advice back then as it is today.

But how to communicate that to pets?

Do dog and cat sometimes eat poison mushrooms, or do they have instinct to know its dangerous?

Is it deadly to them the same as us or are they able to digest it better than humans?

Or do they just not like to eat mushrooms?

• *****
    Favorite Answer

Yes, particularly dogs will eat mushrooms sometimes, and it can absolutely be fatal if they eat a poisonous one. You can't "communicate that" to your pets, and they don't have an instinct to avoid poisonous mushrooms. Most cats aren't much interested in eating mushrooms, but many dogs will happily eat them. During seasons conducive to mushroom growth, we check the yard each morning when we let our dogs out and remove any mushrooms found. My cat does not go outside.

By the time symptoms of mushroom poisoning appear, it is often too late to do anything to treat them. 

• Rita

Pets have been known to eat mushrooms in yards and while on walks. While 99% of mushrooms have little or no toxicity, the 1% that are highly toxic can cause life-threatening problems in pets. Take extra care to keep pets away from areas where mushrooms might be growing.

• ?

Dogs and cats act instinctively, the avoid anything that is not good for them. 

• Goerge

Yep, those were the days, when avoiding mushrooms on the way to school was my biggest concern. 

Instinct...

Dogs can generally eat any mushroom we can, cooked or not. 

They are just as susceptible as we are to the toxins in psychedelic/poisonous mushrooms. 

Cats are obligate carnivores meaning they NEED meat to survive and they should not be fed any fruits or veggies. 

Maybe Mercy's "cat(s) shouldn't be running around outside". Not all cats are indoor animals nor does everyone live in a suburb or other heavily populated area. Others live in rural areas where wildlife is plentiful. My cat routinely leaves behind her leftovers(large intestine, bladder and legs) after a successful hunt. 

• Mercy

Cats shouldn't be running around outside.

Cats don't.

Dogs sometimes will eat the UNeatable.