What is a cult, Biblically speaking?
- TeeMLv 71 month agoFavorite Answer
Actually the Bible doesn't talk about cults.
Some translations have mistranslated 'qadesh' as 'cult' but this isn't correct.
H6945 קדשׁ qadesh (873c); from the same as H6944; a temple prostitute:
The Bible does talk about 'sects' but not cults.
One reason is the basic definition of 'cult' which means 'any organized group of people worshiping a god'.
So what you have today is one cult calling another group a cult.
- nineteenthlyLv 71 month ago
There is a Christian countercult movement which seems to regard everything which isn't evangelical Protestantism as a cult. There is a broader understanding of what characterises a cult based on a more secular approach to new religious movements, but it would be difficult and time-consuming to work out whether and what the Biblical roots for that are.
- Ernest SLv 71 month ago
A cult claims they are the exclusive way, exercises control over its adherents and promotes heresy.
- HogieLv 71 month ago
It basically comes down to a controlling leadership. One is indoctrinated to believe that their very existence/salvation is dependent upon the group. Life is regimented, there is a control of information, and a condition of "us versus them" regarding other churches. One of the cult information websites was actually sued by cult, and taken over by a cult. A safe place to look for further information would be: www.exitsupportnetwork.com. There are a number of resources there.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- CarymLv 61 month ago
Born-again Christians are straight-shooters. Never heard of anyone who wishes from the outset to be a 'fake' Christian. Yet, at the root of most scriptural misinterpretation is satan trying to take advantage of our fallibility.
Actually, “BJ” will be able to inform you properly as he is one of the JW's circuit overseers and so proud that his name shows up in the Watch Tower Magazine instead of the Book of Life. I find it rather ironic that he is the one claiming that “many cults follow a living human leader, and often their adherents live in groups separate from the rest of society.”
Cults, sects, and evolution are satan’s religious and science wings. Period.
If we cannot teach Christian values in schools anymore, we can at least make sure that other “drivel” will not be taught as well, even though we know that it is difficult to prevent the 'religion' under the guise of scientific terms.
To answer your question, at least four of the fundamental doctrines of Christianity are taught falsely by most cults, that is they are either opposed openly or twisted severely. These are, the trinity of God, the deity of Christ, the personality of the Holy Spirit, and the immortality of the soul.
<Many say there is no Hell and pretend that ALL will be saved at the end of the day> Please ask “BJ” to prove it Scripturally.
- 1 month ago
A Cult the Roman Catholic Church
IT WAS SET UP BY THE PAGAN CONSTANTINE WHO WAS A PAGAN POPE
ISLAM is a Cult the Koran is copied from the worst of the Torah and the Holy Bible
today the Only True Church is the Church of England No Pope No Trinity No Compulsory Confession and no 3% of our income demanded like in the Roman Catholic Church
now watch the Thumbs down without anyone Giving any reason why
Thumbs down they Just hate the Truth
- antoniusLv 71 month ago
LOL! That would be the cult that you read about in the bible. Actually all religions are cults of one kind or another. Believing in nonsense prepared and invented by man and fooling people to delude their own mind is nothing but a cult; that means all religions.
- 1 month ago
[an angel carries ezekiel to a secret society, of 70 men, in a hidden underground area, worshipping insects, dinosaurs, & other creatures.]
King James Version Bible 1885
2 John Chapter 1
3. Grace be with you, mercy, [and] peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.
Ezekiel Chapter 8
1. And it came to pass in the sixth year, in the sixth [month], in the fifth [day] of the month, [as] I sat in mine house, and the elders of Judah sat before me, that the hand of the Lord GOD fell there upon me.
2. Then I beheld, and lo a likeness as the appearance of fire: from the appearance of his loins even downward, fire; and from his loins even upward, as the appearance of brightness, as the colour of amber.
7. And he brought me to the door of the court; and when I looked, behold a hole in the wall.
8. Then said he unto me, Son of man, dig now in the wall: and when I had digged in the wall, behold a door.
9. And he said unto me, Go in, and behold the wicked abominations that they do here.
10. So I went in and saw; and behold every form of creeping things, and abominable beasts, and all the idols of the house of Israel, pourtrayed upon the wall round about.
11. And there stood before them seventy men of the ancients of the house of Israel, and in the midst of them stood Jaazaniah the son of Shaphan, with every man his censer in his hand; and a thick cloud of incense went up.
12. Then said he unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen what the ancients of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the chambers of his imagery? for they say, The LORD seeth us not; the LORD hath forsaken the earth.
- Roberta BLv 61 month ago
Christianity was called a "sect" or cult by Jewish leaders in Acts 28:21-22
21 They said to him: “We have not received letters about you from Ju·deʹa, nor have any of the brothers who came from there reported or spoken anything bad about 22 But we think it proper to hear from you what your thoughts are, for truly as regards this sect, we know that it is spoken against everywhere.”
Dictionary definitions:Sect: - a group of people with somewhat different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they belong.- a group that has separated from an established Church; a nonconformist Church.Cult:- a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.-a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.Some feel that Jehovah’s Witnesses have invented a new religion. On the contrary, we pattern our worship after that of the first-century Christians. We believe that the Holy Scriptures should be the authority on what is orthodox in matters of worship. "All Scripture is inspired of God." 2 Timothy 3:16
Some 200 years after the death of the apostles, political leaders began to add to and change what was considered appropriate in religious beliefs and practice. Jehovah’s Witnesses do not look to any human as their leader. Rather, we adhere to the standard that Jesus set for his followers when he stated: “Your Leader is one, the Christ.”—Matthew 23:10.Source(s): Jw.org
- BJLv 71 month ago
Some define sect to mean a group that has broken away from an established religion.
Others apply the term to a group that follows a particular human leader or teacher. The term is usually used in a derogatory way.
A cult is a religion that is said to be unorthodox or that emphasizes devotion according to prescribed ritual.
Many cults follow a living human leader, and often their adherents live in groups apart from the rest of society.