Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Am I in the wrong for not wanting to give our puppy human food? ?

My boyfriend and I aren't speaking to one another after arguing earlier about our puppy Mew eating/not eating people food.

My boyfriend wants her to have people food because that's what he's always done with his previous dogs, whereas I don't want her to have human food since none of my past dogs have had people food   

He thinks I'm cruel to her because I'm in the process of training her to go to her box (where she sleeps at night) when my grandpa feeds his dogs eggs/hot dogs, but she only goes to her box for bed or when the big dogs are eating human food. 

He thinks that human food is better for her than the dog food we're feeding her 

I'm not giving her human food; she doesn't need it 

• Jas B

Find a reason to take your puppy to the vet, take your boyfriend with you and when you get in the consulting room tell the vet what your boyfriend thinks and ask him to explain to him your boyfriend why he is wrong.

If he won't listen to a vet then you know for sure that he is a moron.

Keep the puppy get rid of the boyfriend. It will get worse, this is not a good match. go to your Vet for advise as to what to feed the puppy. I'm sure your Vet will say stay away from human food. Yes just an itsy bitsy piece once in a while is okay. Human food is to rich, fatty, salty and can make a dog sick or kill it. A high quality dog/puppy food is best. good Luck!

It depends on what it is. I give my dog a  carrot or a piece  of cucumber as a treat every now and then. She does eat dog food but I always research on what's kind of human food I can give her. I understand you are in the middle of training and you don't want to promote bad behavior. There are some human food you can give your dog like brown rice and pumpkin ( great for upset stomach) and even plain low fat-yogurt. Every now and then I mix some brown rice and a small piece of salmon with the dry food not much  but yeah.  

You can try to comprise something. 

Human food gonna make it fat and probably die young

Your puppy is getting a better diet than the other dogs, but I can predict that she will get people food when you are not home.  

• garry

its ok to give im human food , he might like some rice and vegetables or the taste for a certain fruit or some salmon or sardines or chicken . , but no hamburgers , pizzas or  other junk food  . remember onion or chocolate is bad for any dog .

Human food as a TREAT is fine as long as you aren't overdoing it or feeding processed garbage.

Many people use things like boiled chicken, liver, cheese and small bits of hit dog as high value rewards for training.

Some fruits and veggies are good low-calorie treats.   I used to have a dog who would practically do back flips for green beans.

Adding the occasional egg is good for skin and coat.

Dog food is properly balanced to meet the nutritional needs, so it's not harmful either for the dog to eat dog food.

I would advise waiting on people food until the pups digestive tract is fully mature, and you can establish with the pup that begging while you eat isn't acceptable...   But perhaps you can find a middle ground on acceptable "people foods" to use as treats or training rewards.

Human food is less processed and good for your dog. The best type is chicken and rice. I think you're being a little prude about this. Why not let him love the dog more than you're loving it? I'm sure he's disappointed with how cold you are being toward the situation.

"...human food is better for her than the dog food..."

https://www.google.com/search?q=human+food+is+bett...

Human food doesn't have the right ingredients to benefit a dog unless you switch completely but you need to know what else the dog needs if you switch.  Some human food is okay but there are many human food that a dog should not have.

NO COOKED BONES!!!!!!  Raw bone it fine but NEVER cooked bones.

No grapes

No chocolate

There are lists online & maybe even in one or more of the sites above.

Absolutely not you are fully correct