Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 3 months ago

How would I drop out of college without my parents knowing?

• jim

Just drop out of college.

Why don't you join the military instead and tell them you've been soooo busy with college lately.  They'll never know the difference.

Step by step instructions to Tell Your Parents You Want to Drop out of College ... Conversing with them about exiting may not be simple. As hard all things considered to realize where to start the discussion or what to say, the accompanying exhortation might be of help.

I agreed with the person that said to get help. You don’t want to face regret when you’re older like me (31).

You are over 18? Then you are an adult, you make your choices, and you deal with consequences. There's no way your parents will not find out sooner or later that you have dropped out, and what you have chosen to do instead. 

• ?

Don't enroll, pre register,  for the next term is how. Or officially withdraw from all your courses. That's how I dropped out of graduate school. My father didn't have to figure it out. My mother was dead. 

• drip

US universities are not going to notify your parents. 

• John

Unless you are not a traditional-age college student, it would be difficult to slip that past them.  

The question then becomes why you want to drop out.  If you are struggling academically, you can take steps to improve your grades.  Most colleges now have very good academic assistance programs.  Conversely, if college just isn't for you (and its certainly not for everyone) or if you have different career goals (such as working in the trades) in mind, a rational sit-down with your parents is in order.  Be sure to approach this is a rational and calm manner.  Also keep in mind your parents may not react rationally and calmly.  Still, as a young adult you have to find your own way in life.

It would be foolish to drop out of college, especially if your parents are willing to pay for it and in a position to do so. If you're struggling with your studies, get help. If you don't like your major, get help. Whatever you do, get your education while you still can.