How can I reset my ECU to fix the eratic behavior of head lights & brakelights on my Mini Cooper convtible 2006 ?

ive a R52 i think The cars had some design changes around 2006

Depending on what year the car is I read i am able to reset ecu by either disconnecting battery apparently or i can factory reset ecu by using key & speedometer buttons ?Also will i need 2 reset stereo code or will i get other issues if I disconnect the battery? 

Update:

just to clarify the Mini head lights don't come on immediately taking about half a minute and brake lights don't switch off immediately either maybe damp although garage said it needs maybe a diagnostic

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Resetting the ECU will not fix your problem.  Check for a bad ground (earth).  Good luck.

• 1 month ago

Resetting the ecu never fixes bad parts or maladjustments. Your car seems to be acting like a typical old British car with Lucas electrics. There could be a problem with the light relays. Have that checked.

If the car has a security system, disconnecting the battery will require resetting the security system.

If trouble codes come up when scanning the OBD2 system, look the codes up to see what they mean and read the recommended diagnoses/remedies. The code isn't the problem- the problem sets a code so you know where to look to fix things. Erasing the codes does NOT fix anything.

• Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Buy yourself a code scanner. There are dozens to choose from on the 'net. That will be cheaper than getting a garage to do it. Look up codes found on the 'net also.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.