Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Which is better a top or bottom floor apartment?

I really like quiet!! I’m moving into my first apartment. I’ve always owned a home so I’m not used to noise. The problem is I have 2 dogs they are 30 and 70lbs. I also live in Kansas and there are no tornado shelters in this complex. I hate noise I’m very sensitive to it especially when I sleep so I’m not sure what to do. 

Your perspectives from a center floor loft are superior to a base floor unit. ... Highest levels can get sweltering and are hard to chill off throughout the late spring months. Base floors are frequently cold and difficult to warm. At the point when you live on the center floor, your service bills are more reliable than condos on different floors.

Townhouse if possible or your own small 1 bedroom house. Apartments usually require dogs to be less than 50lbs so it might not be possible to rent one unless you have a disability and the bigger dog is a certified ESA. Bottom floors are better for them because easier to get outside when they have to go. Top floors can be better for less noise but harder for times when you need to get out, take things upstairs to your place, etc...

If you really like quiet & are that sensative to it then you should not live in an aprartment at all. You are NOT going to get quiet surroundings living in an apartment! You are going to have a noise problem in an apartment regardless of which floor you live on. Being 2nd floor without hearing people walk is a little better but not by much.

I prefer top floor, though others seem to like the lower floors. At the top floor nobody is walking around abover you which is unimportant some places and a major annoyance in others.  Also, water travels down, so if the roof is well maintained, then water from the bathroom above you or pipes in the walls can be really annoying. Also, bugs tend to start lower, so maybe the lower floors have more problems with bugs (though a building with roaches probably has them in every single apartment).  These are all minor problems some places, but can be a major hassle in others.

In your case, top floor.  In apartments, sound travels more from higher floors to lower floors than it does from lower floors to upper floors.  This is probably because humans walk on the floor and not on the ceiling.  Top floor apartments are quieter because there is no one walking above you (except when maintenance workers are on the roof).  Apartments on a lower floor are louder because your ceiling is right under someone else's floor.

However, for someone with small or loud children, bottom floors are better, because you won't get as many complaints about the noise that they make.

The amount of noise will be less on the top floor as noise generally travels downwards.  But it can also travel sideways so, unless the building has one apartment per floor, this will not solve your issue.  I suggest you go for a brick building.  Kinder to your neighbours too as a barking dog is very annoying.

I live in a 1929 brick building where I never hear a sound from anyone.  The architecture is lovely too.

• Maxi

For the sake of dogs you need a bottom floor property so they have easy access to outside and for the sake of others in the block of not listening to two dogs running around above them

If you do not want to constantly hear foot steps from your upstairs neighbor I would suggest the top floor

Do everyone a favor and get a house.