Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Hi. Can anyone help me with what's wrong here? My guess is that one or two resistors are burned.?

I don't see any burned resistors.

Do you know what you're doing?

You sure didn't explain anything useful to us.

Learn how to aim your camera and properly illuminate your subject.

To test them, unsolder them and check their value and continuity. Make sure and put them back in the right place. You should look at a "Sam's Photofact" for that device and measure voltages at test points on the device. That can narrow down where the problem might be. By the way, of the 3 resistors in the picture, they all *look* fine. Guessing only got you as far as asking a question.

I see nothing overheated. Sure picture is in right spot?  

"R4" appears jumped. Is this Right?

Solid state devices fail catastrophically. I've seen two Leads and nothing between.

Bad connections; displaced pins in connectors are very common problems. Power down, remove and Look at each, one at a time. 

Bad solder joints very common, too. Turn PCB board over--any dull  joints that don't look like a Hershey's kiss in cross section? Coulda had bad solder joint(s) from factory.

Electros tend to go, open or leak. If the top or base seem "bulgy" ,its a sure sign.  Many  have an "x" cut into top as a burst diaphragm so they don't explode  dielectric all over. 

EDIT: I can't get a good enough look at the resistors to tell you what their resistances Should be. Generally; "unsoldering and ohming  out"  modern film resistors  is a waste of time and can damage PC board if done by inexperienced  person. Rarely do they fail unless they show signs of over heating. Big power wire-wound resistors often opened at one end without   external damage, yes. I checked some big power  carbons on a 1960 voltage regulator board because these handle a lot of power and were  quite old. Values change over 60 years.

Nothing looks burnt, so why do you think that?

Without knowing what we’re looking at and what the symptoms are it’s difficult to offer useful advice.

The two most common faults on circuit boards are dried-out electrolytic capacitors and dried/crystallised solder joints which can cause intermittent faults as the circuit heats up and cools down.

Another very common fault is poor continuity wherever there are plug connectors. That can typically be due to corrosion, wear, or bent/broken connector pins. Or poorly crimped wire connectors inside the multiplugs and sockets.

I can see just what is wrong. Something is not working and you need to replace it or repair it. Now how can we know what is wrong from a picture and not testing it?