My 12 year old son is getting an adult voice too early. What should I do.?

My son only turned 12 a few months ago and he is starting to get a deeper voice, but it's not some small voice crack thing that made it slightly deeper, he sounds almost like a 14-15 year old. Why is his voice developing 2 years before it should?

• Craig
    Favorite Answer

He's pubescent.  12 might be early for boys of your particular heritage, but it is certainly within the normal range for homo sapiens, writ large.  Don't worry - nothing unusually bad is going to happen.  (I mean, adolescence can be a train wreck, so of course anything is possible - but starting it at 12 doesn't make it worse.)

As for the voice change, some boys go for over a year with squeaks and yodels, while other boys go from angel-chipmunk to Edward Murrow overnight.  Some shoot up like weeds and others slowly creep.  Some suddenly sprout hair everywhere and others never do fill in.  You remember all these differences from your school days.  So your boy is going to react to puberty in his own way.  There's no "too early".  Nothing to worry about.

The good thing is, there's every reason to believe the sooner this roller-coaster ride starts, the sooner it'll finish.  You might have a regular human being back by the time he's 16 or 17, which would be really sweet!

• Sky

Assuming there's any truth to your anonymously posted story, why do you think this is something you should do something about?  Some kids experience the effects of puberty earlier and some experience the effects later.  I remember back in my grade school days when some of the girls had basically C-cup breasts at the age of 12 or 13.  Some develop sooner.

You don't do anything he's normally growing at the pace and 12 is the age of puberty so that is completely normal.

if you do anything to his voice box you could f****** his ability to speak in the future.

Puberty usually does truly begin around the teen years zx

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

If he were like 8 years old, puberty blockers would be prescribed.  Noting wrong with a 12 year old starting puberty though.

My advice is that you chill out.

Buy him some deodorant and instruct him in proper personal hygiene. They can become such smelly little buggers at that age. Make certain he washes his winky THOROUGHLY too!

• Cogito

There is no 'too early' or 'before it should'.

Children develop at different ages.  They go through puberty when it happens!

It's not too early, that is about when it happens.

• Barry

Why do you assume you are correct? There is no specific time for a voice to break. Hormones determine that.