Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 month ago

Thoughts on the name Priya?

My best friend's name is Priya, and she is very insecure about it. She isn't Indian and often gets pestered by people because of it, saying it doesn't suit her because she isn't Indian. I personally think it's a nice name, but I was wondering what everyone else thinks of it? 

She was also wondering if there were any nicknames for it since her normally-confident-self is crumbling down thanks to the teasing of others saying it's too unusual and it sounds 'strange'. 

The name itself is fine but unusual names for whatever reason can attract unwanted attention. Some people can deal with that better than others.

• Snid

It does seem a bit unusual for a non Indian to be named Priya but that happens with many names,  I think Priya is a lovely name.

I like the name, but I've only seen it on Indian girls. If she's uncomfortable with it, she should choose a nickname that she likes. Examples:

Mia

Buffy

Yiya

Yana

Pam or Pamela