Why is he suddenly insulting me?

So I have an in law who generally is always “protective” of me. He compliments me, stands up for me, is warm towards me. Suddenly today he came across cocky and demeaning toward me. He insulted my cooking numerous times to other ppl but with me in earshot and avoided talking to me. 

I feel hurt but nothing negative happened for him to suddenly shift this way toward me. Not sure how to feel. At the end of the day he told me the food was great yet throughout the night I felt like I was put down over and over again. 

Is this a man just having a big ego?

• T J

Since it is a in law, make sure he is not invited to where you will be. If you go to someplace and he is there, turn around and leave. Sooner or later someone will ask you why, then you tell them why.

That’s a man who’s not happy within himself, so he then tries to bring down other people. Need to cut him out your life, you don’t need that negativity near you.

It is really unusual that something like this happened. There are only a few plausible explanations as to why he acted this way. Firstly, he may just have simple been in a bad mood. Often when guys are in a bad mood they seek to "destroy the world" and show hate towards everyone and everything within site for no reason.

The other possibility is that this guy may like you or be conscious about the way people perceive your relationship with each other. In other words, he does not want people thinking that there is something going on and gossiping. As a result, he decided to show overt signs of dislike towards you in order to safeguard against this happening. 

Maybe he has a thing for you, and someone said something to him about it so now he is pretending to not like you? Maybe he was just joking about the comments on your cooking? 

Give him a break and move on.