Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 month ago

Should I be worried my 2½ year old isn't forming simple sentences? Do you believe a speech therapist will help?

He has ADHD and I know how his thought process is.

Before anyone ask how do I know if he has ADHD, I have it and his dad has ADD, so....

Anyway, he's having the same troubles I had, but worse due to the severity of the ADHD. He's smart, but his brain is just working so fast that his words run together making it sound like he's saying something else. Not to mention how he hears the words come out. 

Pee pee sounds like me me to him.

The only sentence I've actually heard him say was, "Mine! I want it now!".

• ?

Children tend to start out with verbs, then to add subjects- as in "me want" and "me go". If your child is saying "I want it now" he's right on track or ahead in terms of development of sentence structure and grammar.  It's also not unusual for a 2 1/2 year old to be fairly unintelligible. That varies greatly from child to child (girls usually speak more clearly than boys). I know some 4 and 5 year olds who are still hard to understand. Speech therapist usually are not recommended until later, when it become clear that the child has a specific, persistent problem. If he's hearing different sounds and not understanding what you say to him, that could be a completely different issue- a hearing problem. Have you talked to his doctor about this? I don't know how in the world you've decided he has ADHA, unless it's just because you're assuming that it's passed on. ALL 2 1/2 year olds appear ADD! They don't focus on anything for more than a couple of minutes, and if you give them 3 instructions, they're only going to remember the first one. I would advise three things:

Try not to have unrealistic expectations.

Try to keep track of exactly what problems you're seeing in his speaking and listening comprehension.

Talk to your pediatrician.