Poll: Why is there no mail on Sunday's?

• Dan
    Favorite Answer

Because the mailman needs a day off too

• susan

Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, and even the mailman needs a day off woek. 

The USPS has to have SOME day off - but in my area it feels like they actually do deliver on Sunday if they feel like it - unless I'm just simply checking it late and forgetting.

One could cite the whole American Evangelical thing as the tradition being behind that idea but I could swear I've seen USPS trucks on Sundays and found mail on Sundays but... my concept of days and time aren't great these days. 

• Asep

Ask God.         

1) Traditionally businesses have been closed on Sunday. Google "Blue laws." While the post office isn't a business it has followed the same tradition. 

From wikipedia: 

In the United States, the U.S. Supreme Court has on numerous occasions held blue laws as constitutional, citing secular bases such as securing a day of rest for mail carriers,

2) It would be impractical. Seven day mail delivery would require two people per route which would effectively double the number of employees. 

Why do you believe that to pluralize Sunday you must insert an apostrophe before the S at the end?

Because...Even God rested  on Sundays.  It is a day to relax for most people.

The mailman doesn't deliver then