Why do Liberals trust the Government to  protect their Civil Liberties?

@?

The government will crush or circumvent your civil liberties anytime they feel like it. It's your job to protect your civil liberties. 

@Bagof Potatos

Let me think about your answer and get back to you....

[Dems and Repubs both of you bear with me here]

I'm an Independent but usually vote for Democrats. I do think that government programs with millions of people put on them are by nature going to be a disorganized mess. So that's my feelings about government programs so you have that perspective. However why I vote for Democrats is they won't let the political pendulum swing all the way into the facist far right oblivion that Donald Trump did. Therefore I think the Democrats protect our civil liberties. Funny how Donnie throws around the phrase law and order but then when he gets in trouble for stuff, he sicks an army of lawyers on everyone who tries to hold him accountable. Then he even stiffs the lawyers, google it! When it comes to civil liberties, think of the American Civil Liberties Union. In my opinion not a perfect organization but they are neutral and I know if I was wrongfully accused of something I could ask them for help. Again, they support investigating and putting limits on police, why, because it's in their name, having balances on city agencies is a civil liberty. Another thing that affects our civil liberties is the CIA, habeous corpus, etc. Trump didn't appoint people who were cautious about respecting those things. Again, that is more respectful to civil liberties. I also don't like Democrats overdoing it with Covid regulations. I think we should have better funded programs to keep the vulnerable at home, well fed, and well entertained, so 👏we 👏can 👏open👏 the 👏economy👏 again! Thankfully as I knew, Biden couldn't make a national mask mandate, yes that was going against liberty, however he knew from day one that he wouldn't be able to make a national mandate. All politicians make some promises they know they will break on day one. Are the Democrats going to be like libertarians or independents that I'm more likely to go to the polls for? No, but they are the closest thing we have until America opens up to the idea of a third party eclipsing the Republicans.

Thats like asking Joey Chesnut to guard your hot dog.  

• ?

Laziness - allowing "someone else to do the work" of watching what the government does.  It is a laissez-faire attitude.

• Matt

because that's why we have them, who else is going to do it?

the US government is there to protect your civil liberties, how exactly do you propose to protect your civil liberties against the likes of China and Russia without the government of the USA backing you, you guys who hate your government don't realize it, but that means you hate your country, the USA is a nation of laws, not men, those laws are embodied in our government