Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 month ago

Is democracy actually good?

I feel like if the masses were educated and voting was compulsory it might be good. But the vast majority just vote based on arbitrary reasons if they vote at all. People vote for those who is most charismatic, who resonates well. That's how Adolf Hitler and other awful people got into power. Still I can't think of a better alternative. All others would seemingly lead to worse corruption. Maybe a meritocracy. Where .leadership has to start from the bottom and work their way up. However that would prevent younger people with new ideas coming in and the leadership could become stale and motionless. Still not sure a glorified popularity contest is the right way to go. American Idol for the sake of your nations future. I'm honestly half surprised we haven't turned it into a game show yet. 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

if you don't like it go live in Iran, Saudi Arabia or North Korea.

Then you'll be able to find an answer to your own question minus the b/s details you wastefully added to it.

• 1 month ago

The problem with Democracy in the United States is that Americans have no "true majority rule."  In 2008, when the majority of California voters cast their ballots "against same-sex marriage", a court sided with the "minority of voters" and they overturned the "will of the majority."  Something similar happened in Ohio in 2006, when the majority of voters chose to outlaw "indoor smoking" in most bars and restaurants.  A tiny minority of Ohio residents who "enjoyed inhaling secondhand smoke", sued the state, claiming that their rights were violated.  Although, ultimately the indoor smoking ban prevailed.

In a decent democracy, the vote of the majority should actually mean something.  In the U.S., when you cast your vote on an issue, and the "majority of the electorate" votes the same way you did, then you're never certain that the will of the majority is actually going to be imposed, and that sucks! 

• 1 month ago

Democracy is as good as those you choose to elect.  Next time vote for real Americans, not those who pretend to be your savior.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, of course.  

It's the opposite of 'big government'.  I have seen a lot of right wingers falsely claim the US is not a democracy. Being against democracy is being pro-big government. 

That's not how Hitler got into power. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Is it actually good compared to what?  What alternative do you prefer?  chaos and lawlessness?  Rule by whoever has the most guns? Dictatorship sponsored and propped up by corporations?  Dictatorship by Communists?  

Trust me, whoever speaks out against democracy or tries to demonize it actually wants to enslave the people.

The biggest problem with democracy is that it has very persistent and powerful enemies that will attempt to undo it to perpetuity.....for democracy is justice, democracy is fairness, democracy is we the entire people, democracy is truth, democracy is we are family, democracy is protect the weak and vulnerable from those who would tyrannize and abuse them, democracy is let us all deal with each other like a big family democracy is liberty and justice for all. Unfortunately there is part of humanity that will always be against those principles.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Basic civics tests for both candidates and voters would help. Outlaw campaign donations, period. Campaigns can plead their cases on social media without the baby kissing and glad-handing. No late night talk show appearances unless the questions are substantive and policy based. There are dozens of things we could do to restore some semblance of legitimacy to our elections. The Framers never meant for us all to vote and would be horrified to see what passes for an "education" in our current K-12 public schools. And of course because I'm a broken record, get rid of the party system. Every candidate for him/herself and a Congress that cares more about moving the nation forward than outdoing the people on the other side of the aisle. 

• sarah
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

if you are going to vote do some research

• 1 month ago

Churchill perhaps put it best by describing democracy as "the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time".

In other words, it has it's problems, but everything else that has been tried is even worse (and everything that hasn't been tried probably is too).

• 1 month ago

A mixed democratic republic like the US  is an imperfect but an OK solution to laziness. Voters elect representatives that study legislation and those representatives pass/revise/deny bills on our behalf. Imagine having a full time job, family, other responsibilities and having to vote on everything our state and federal leaders do. The system would be even more dysfunctional than it currently is. We have to hope our leaders are more educated than we are (which isn't always the case).

There is some satisfaction I get from direct democratic votes at the state level. It's nice to vote 'no' on a levy or new library and see later those measures didn't pass. Direct democracy has it's place at the state level and can make voters feel part of the process.

Ultimately, there is no perfect system of government because there are no perfect people.

• 1 month ago

Pure democracy isn't good, because the majority can overwhelm the minority.  As they say, it's two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

That is why we have a Republic.  Everybody gets to vote, but the small states have some protection from the will of the big states.

I suspect that public education has come to the point that the politicians in power don't want the people to know too much about how government works.  We need more independent schooling.

And mandatory voting is not a good idea; whoever mandates the voting, can equally pressure voters to vote the way they want.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.