Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 month ago

Anyone else agree that masks DO NOT protect you from covid?

The mask is to protect others, and if everyone wore one, the spread would slow.

Just wear the damn mask.

it supposes to stop it from spreading rapidly.   

Masks do not protect you personally... They protect other people from you.

No. Show me the research you've done, the data you've collected and your degrees in science and medicine. Then maybe I'd take you seriously. In the meantime, you're just another anti-mask contrarian blowing hot air. 

You don't think you're protected? Haven't you notice how less people have been getting sick in general? Hand washing and mask wearing will slow any spread of germs, that's basic knowledge. 

Not I, because I am not a moron

I would rather believe what science tells us rather than what you think.  Science says wear a mask to protect others, the world is not all about you.  Science has now agreed that not only will a mask protect others from your possible transmitting this virus but can also protect you.  Instead of being contrary and incite trouble over such a simple act to help control this killer virus why don't you comply?  If everyone had listened to science when asked to wear a mask you wouldn't have millions of people infected and over 400000 deaths.  Compared to other nations who have followed their CDC guidelines America is the leader of deaths in the world.  My sincere sympathy to all who have lost a loved one because of people like you who think they know more than the scientists and experts that are there to protect us.  Shame on you.

To some extent yes I agree with that statement but also your statement is not 100% true.

If I sneezed near you but had my mask on, the chance of you getting a flu or something from me is lessened because there are less droplets that will be emitted from my sneeze that may enter your respiratory system.

Its the first barrier of protection basically but its not a fool proof one nor will it protect anybody from any virus.

Its like wearing a bullet proof vest, it offers you some degree of protection but it wont stop a bullet to your head now will it ?

Masks absolutely reduce the spread of covid.  That's not debatable at this point.  That's scientific fact and we have multiple studies showing it with covid specifically, and HUNDREDS showing it with viruses generally.  Why do you think medical professionals wore them BEFORE the pandemic?  Surgeons, ER docs, and anyone who might be exposed to unknown pathogens.

The only question is 'how much'.  Nothing is 100%.  But just use your brain for a second.  Viruses aren't magic.  They don't teleport from the other person to you.  They travel in droplets and they need a certain concentration of virus to infect you.  A single virus generally won't do.

So even if you wore a mask that was mesh with giant holes in it, there's at least SOME nonzero chance that a virus loaded droplet heading your way hits a thread instead of going in you.  The much better weave of a mask that is tight enough to stop droplets of any substantial size just makes you that much safer.

No one is saying it's 100%.  But the idea of masks isn't that it is 100%.  It's that it LOWERS the infection rate.  Ideally, we want R0 (if you don't know what that is, read about it...you can't understand a pandemic without knowing) to a number below 1.  But even if it just reduces it enough to keep our healthcare capacity from being overwhelmed, then it could save ALOT of people.

And masks just aren't that big a burden.  It's a MILD inconvenience for you.  That could SAVE A LIFE.  If I told you that wearing a silly hat all day in public had a 0.1% chance of saving someone's life if you did it for a year straight - you'd wear the silly hat, right?  We're talking about a mild inconvenience to you that could save a life.  Maybe the life of someone you know and care about.

Now, maybe you've read misleading blog posts claiming masks are NOT effective.  There's alot of people pushing dishonest information.  But the medical profession is NEARLY UNANIMOUS that masks reduce the spread.  It's why surgeons wore masks even before the pandemic.  

There is honest disagreement about whether mask MANDATES work.  But the reason they might not is because people aren't FOLLOWING THEM.  Not because the mask itself doesn't work.

If air can get in the virus can too.